Thailand; Over 40,000 infected with malaria this year

Mentors

Over 40,000 people, including local residents and migrant workers across the country, have sought medical treatment for malaria infection in recent months, health records reveal.

The Department of Disease Control's (DDC) chief, Dr Somchai Chakkrabhand said this year the number of Thai people infected with malaria in the first nine months was 20,506 - while the number of migrant workers was 20,803. Tak province is the most hit area with 4,471 cases; while Yala recorded 3,971; and Narathiwat 1,284 cases.

Somchai said the number of migrant workers with malaria in three provinces is increasing - in Chantaburi, Tak and Kanchanaburi - and he expects the overall number of malaria cases to be even higher next year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30087475

this is always what i afraid of when i stay in the South country side. :sad:

I have Plasmodium Falciparum Malaria aka cerebral malaria at the moment as does a fair percentage of the workforce where I am in a very remote part of West Afrique. (last month was 300+ out of 500 people). Cerebral can knock you stone cold in a couple of days. I take my prophylactics daily, which managed to keep it at bay until I got my hands on some Coartem. better to risk your liver than your life.

i have been taking Doxycycline (100mg a day) and so far have only caught malaria once in 3 months. Some of the other guys have been not taking it and have caught it 3 times in 3 months. Larium is the med that makes you cranky and gives you nasty dreams. the company won't hand out malarone as it is expensive but it seems to work. They say doxy is about 95% effective but i am not convinced. I do know i did not get as sick as some others who wee not taking it.

I have only ever used doxycycline hydrochloride 50mg.

Never caught it but my mate uses something differnet as he spends a lot of time in PNG and Indo. He has caught it several times.

One thing I always carry and we usually give to the clinics and camps is Avagard hand wash. Amazing preventive of the spread specially with children. Dabbed on the bite it kills the parasite, cleans the wound and stops the itching in one go.

thumb_1225926876-mediawebserver.jpg

Archived