is it worth it?

A_J

well i am due to come back to thailand in december for 3 mths and i`m wondering is it worth it what with the current exchange rate being 51 baht, compared to when i was here in aug & it was 67baht to the pound.

i usually bring about 6k english but it looks like i will be losing about a grand in the current situation, is it worth it?

a thousand pound could easily last a month and it feels as though i am just chucking it away, is the pound going to go back up, that is the big question?.

have prices dropped in thailand? is there still alot of farang holidaying?

how are all you expats feeling the pinch, its looks like a pretty sad state of affairs at the moment.

your board "title" reads "live hard, die trying" yet you worry about a few quid/baht?

your budget is 6k pounds for 3 months, so over 100,000 baht a month at current exchange rates. this will still buy you more than a few lukewarm leo beers and "good guys go heaven, bad guys go to pattaya" singlets...

I'd suggest going to the cheaper place, Pattaya. Hotels, clean decent ones, can be had for around 500-600 baht a night (I know a few friends have led me to that are good for a stay with no real complaints). The girls are cheaper and more willing to bargain as well. Plenty of inexpensive places to eat both Thai and farang. Rent a motocyke rather than use the thieving Bahtbuses. Get your baht's worth. When the USD took a dive it just meant you needed to shop around a bit more. Still, it's Thailand, it ain't that expensive. You just need to research some, use the site to ask for good deals that some here will know of. Bangkok is definitely more expensive than Pattaya. Depends on how set you are in your desires and needs. Bargain.

well i am due to come back to thailand in december for 3 mths and i`m wondering is it worth it what with the current exchange rate being 51 baht, compared to when i was here in aug & it was 67baht to the pound.

i usually bring about 6k english but it looks like i will be losing about a grand in the current situation, is it worth it?

a thousand pound could easily last a month and it feels as though i am just chucking it away, is the pound going to go back up, that is the big question?.

have prices dropped in thailand? is there still alot of farang holidaying?

how are all you expats feeling the pinch, its looks like a pretty sad state of affairs at the moment.

Your observations and question is timely. Many from other parts of the world are thinking as such.

• 2 weeks later...

Cent posted about going to Pattaya, which I agree would be much cheaper than Bangkok. The bars are cheaper and many have better happy hours than those in Bangkok.

I prefer Pattaya for the nightlife and hotels, as there is much more value for your money, especially with the exchange rate not being good for some currencies.

Archived