Flying the Roo

shygye

They certainly had a prior warning for the storm

(especially with Australia meteorological conditions) so they have no excuses...

Airline probably played with fire trying to cut costs and probably under evaluating or ignoring pre warning about the storm etc...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hate airlines probably more than anybody here but in the case above, I don't know what more the airline could have done. Other than gambling with the crew curfew, everything else was not an airline related problem.

A storm forced a diversion, they made due with the supplies they had on board by rationing, the fuel truck is a vendor, they applied for a special dispensation and were denied and certainly they don't control customs and how they staff their agents.

They also did book hotel rooms for passengers which is more than a U.S. carrier would have done for a weather problem.

QANTAS could have diverted the aircraft to an international airport with customs and immigration facilities. Then the pax could leave the aircraft instead of being stuck on the tarmac. :banghead:

Agreed.........I'm not taking away some fault of QF. But the article said the unscheduled stop was for fuel. It's possible there wasn't enough fuel to get to an airport that had the proper facilities due to the weather. If you've dealt with pilots before, you know they never have enough fuel. They always want more.

They could have refueled and then left for say Melbourne or Brisbane. They waited for SYD to clear and then the airport closed and the pilots timed out. But it is dollars and not pax comfort that matter.

A similar situation happened to a NW flight from AMS to SEA a few years ago.

Link

SEATTLE, Washington - A 10-hour flight from the Netherlands stretched into 28 hours as passengers diverted from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport by fog sat in the plane at a central Washington airport, stuck there because of Customs regulations.

Food and water ran short for the approximately 300 passengers aboard Northwest Airlines Flight 33, and the toilets stopped working as the hours dragged on. At least two passengers were treated for medical conditions before passengers were finally allowed to stretch their legs late in the evening.

â??Itâ??s like weâ??re hostages without being in any kind of hostage situation,â? passenger Misha Shmidt, a violinist with the Seattle Symphony, told The Seattle Times while on the plane Tuesday night.

You're suggesting they take on fuel to fly to another alternate location and then when the weather cleared, fly to SYD??

As far as NW, that is who I worked for and I know their fucked up system. I worked in HNL and it was alway a gamble with airport curfew and crew time for the Japanese bound flights when there was a delay. Passenger comfort was normally not the priority. It was where the airplane and crews had to be that was first. Silly.

The saga continues.

Qantas jets in on-ground collision at Avalon Airport

A QANTAS 747 involved in the Manila mid-air explosion has crashed into another jumbo while being towed at Avalon Airport.

The planes were being towed at the carrierâ??s Australian heavy maintenance base at Avalon Airport when they crashed into each other about 9.30am this morning.

The jet involved in the Manila emergency in July had been close to being ready to fly again.

Link

The saga continues.

Qantas jets in on-ground collision at Avalon Airport

A QANTAS 747 involved in the Manila mid-air explosion has crashed into another jumbo while being towed at Avalon Airport.

The planes were being towed at the carrierâ??s Australian heavy maintenance base at Avalon Airport when they crashed into each other about 9.30am this morning.

The jet involved in the Manila emergency in July had been close to being ready to fly again.

Link

Unbelievable....

Nope, collisions on an airport happen quite often but usually not involving the planes...

Wonder if the fault will be the drivers or the ATC tower.

I am not proud of being Belgian all the time but I am proud not to be Aussie some days.

:neener:

maybe the drivers or the ATC were kangaroos after all as the on duty real people took a break and put the charming animals in their place?

:yay:

Archived