Flying the Roo

shygye

Link

QANTAS was forced to ration water, biscuits, nappies and toilet paper - four sheets a person - to passengers who spent more than 24 hours on a flight diverted from Sydney because of a storm.

QF32 left Singapore at noon Sydney time on Friday and was due to arrive in Sydney about 8pm.

But the Boeing 747 was forced to circle the airport for more than an hour and then spend more than eight hours at Canberra airport after failing to land because of the storm.

The unplanned stop at Canberra to refuel turned into a four-hour wait for the fuel truck to arrive. By the time the plane was ready to take off again Sydney airport's 11pm curfew was in force, prompting Qantas to apply to the Department of Transport for special dispensation to land. It was refused.

The airline kept passengers on board until 5.30am yesterday, in anticipation of the airport's curfew ending at 6am. By that time the cabin crew had already exceeded their maximum shift time and a new crew was called in.

Shortly before 6am the airline made a decision to book hotel rooms for passengers for the four hours before the plane could take off. They were processed by a single Customs officer in Canberra.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate airlines probably more than anybody here but in the case above, I don't know what more the airline could have done. Other than gambling with the crew curfew, everything else was not an airline related problem.

A storm forced a diversion, they made due with the supplies they had on board by rationing, the fuel truck is a vendor, they applied for a special dispensation and were denied and certainly they don't control customs and how they staff their agents.

They also did book hotel rooms for passengers which is more than a U.S. carrier would have done for a weather problem.

Bunch of whiners. For fuck sake they were stranded in the friggin...errr...capital. :surprised:

TB: Your comment about not wanting the PR job at QF reminded me of a headline I saw in The Onion recently about Obama. It went something like, "Black Man Given Worst Job in America." :)

Yeah ..great line ... :thumbup:

Canberra ...nothing to do except look at politicians... :p:neener:

Archived