Situation-monitoring panel suggests House dissolution, end of rallies

limbo

Situation-monitoring panel suggests House dissolution, end of rallies

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Anupong Paochinda Wednesday suggested the government to dissolve the House and asked the protesters to end their protesters immediately.

Anupong was speaking to reporters after a meeting of the task force set up to monitor the political situation.

He said the committee came up with sincere proposals for both sides.

The Nation

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai army calls for new elections

The head of Thailand's army has asked the government to dissolve parliament and call new elections.

Gen Anupong Paochinda also called on anti-government protesters to withdraw from Bangkok's international airport.

Members of the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) took over the airport on Tuesday, leaving thousands of passengers stranded.

It comes after months of PAD protests, in which they have called for the government to resign.

The BBC's Jonathan Head, in Bangkok, says the occupation of Bangkok's airport was the most dramatic move so far in the protesters' campaign to oust the government.

The protesters, who have also been occupying a government compound in the capital, claim that the government is corrupt and hostile to the monarchy.

BBC

p.s. Nowhere else but in LOS would there be such a situation. The travellers "trapped" at Swampypoom had already gone through customs and had their visas cancelled. But their flights didn't leave, and Immigration is not letting them go back to Bangkok. They are stuck in the departure lounge. So why the aitch doesn't Immigration just stamp another tourist visa for them?

:banghead:

p.s. Nowhere else but in LOS would there be such a situation. The travellers "trapped" at Swampypoom had already gone through customs and had their visas cancelled. But their flights didn't leave, and Immigration is not letting them go back to Bangkok. They are stuck in the departure lounge. So why the aitch doesn't Immigration just stamp another tourist visa for them?

:banghead:

:nono: because the visa law!

:doah:

Actually I don't believe this. Anyone know of anyone really in this situation.

The whole reason why in the past that they attached your white card to the board pass was exactly for this situation - so if the flight didn't leave you could go out. But with all the e-tickets, they stopped doing this.

No one (according to what I'm seeing) is being kept inside the terminal (past immigration). People who stayed at the airport did so by choice, or lack of choice to move out by themselves.

I saw a person on CNN complaining about:

a. no information (yes, there is no one in charge a the airport, they closed down the terminal and everyone who could left)

b. no places took credit cards - no money exchanges open

c. nothing to eat, all places closed

d. had been waiting for 12 hours - at 9 pm. So, considering that the shutdown was 24 hours ago, anyone who went to the airport after the shutdown and continues to stay there - not sure who should be responsible for them? Take responsibility for yourself as a start.

Not debating the right or wrong of either side, but once the problem started it is time for some personal responsibility - or is that just me?

I feel sorry for the people who got stuck going there or coming from there last night - they didn't have much of a choice.

It's not just you thinking like that.

Common sense seems to be in limited supply with many of the stranded tourists.

Having watched a few video interviews of some of them I am not suprised that many complain but don't move their asses...same kind of tourists (in this case phuket, pattaya etc...) as I see back here, not able to think for themselves.

I am sure some would be stupid enough to starve while waiting unless told to do otherwise.

Although I don't play in the nightlife anymore I would have find a way out of the airport and would have enjoyed the opportunity of being "blocked against my will" in Thailand...

"quality tourists in Thailand" are the same "quality tourists as on the costa blanca"...

Of course, I don't include people who had no choice

drogon,

you write some good points.

even on my first visit to Thailand more than 20 years ago my return flight was cancelled because some plane problems. There was just a small letter at the check in - flight cancelled- no one around to ask.

i went back to the city in a hotel and go back in the early morning, then everything was ok.

But, often tourists at the Departure terminal are running out of money.

True, but:

ATM have been disconnected?

Mobile phones don't work?

I can understand passengers waiting to see if their flight would take off or not but when reality pointed its ugly head -> if as a tourist I see all shops, employees etc... running away then I don't stay and I know that my flight will not take off anytime soon.

I ended once in a completely unknown airport (Harare) without another air ticket and I found my way out...

I also missed my flight in bkk and I had not one bht left and my CC was HS -> I took the plane 2 days later without dying of starvation.

(in fact I spent 2 great days with a nice harem)

I don't say it is the tourists fault (I could have been one of them) if they are stranded there but I say this is their fault if they complain about not having eaten, slept or are unable to leave the airport etc...

Archived