Currency

phiketpete

Can any board member suggest a solution.

i went down to my branch of Bank ofAsia today to unload my fairly small quantities of european currencies due to cease to exist as of next year.

amounts between $50 -$100 of each.

Howevr BoA refused to exchange money from Spain, Finland, Belgium only accepting Danish crowns.

Is anyone aware of a bank in BKK that will accept such exotic currencies.

How about in Hua Hin, where alot of Nordic people seem to gravitate towards. Is there any bank there that will accept my Markka

quote:

Originally posted by phiketpete:

Can any board member suggest a solution.

i went down to my branch of Bank ofAsia today to unload my fairly small quantities of european currencies due to cease to exist as of next year.

amounts between $50 -$100 of each.

Howevr BoA refused to exchange money from Spain, Finland, Belgium only accepting Danish crowns.

Is anyone aware of a bank in BKK that will accept such exotic currencies.

How about in Hua Hin, where alot of Nordic people seem to gravitate towards. Is there any bank there that will accept my Markka

I'd suggest; don't take all the currencies together at the same time to one bank.

If you go to money-exchange-offices in the touristplaces you should be able to exchange EVERY European currency cash (coins will probably be a problem however).

I had a nightmare time trying to get rid of a large amount of Ringitts, which I stupidly forgot to change in Malaysia. No bank in Bangkok would touch them - Thanks Dr Mahathir mad.gif" border="0 . Fortunately, a private currency exchange near National Stadium changed them at quite reasonable rates. Maybe one of these places can help?

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I don't want to get political here, or offend anyone, but am I alone in not liking the concept of the Euro dollar? Sure it is great for travelers, but what about a nation's individual sovernty?

It's not so much a matter of nation's individual sovernty that alot of people in some European countries (like Germany,Belgium,the Netherlands) aren't pleased with the introduction of the Euro, but more the fact that we are giving away a hard currency and get a weak currency back.

quote:

Originally posted by twoluckyone:

It's not so much a matter of nation's individual sovernty that alot of people in some European countries (like Germany,Belgium,the Netherlands) aren't pleased with the introduction of the Euro, but more the fact that we are giving away a hard currency and get a weak currency back.

A point well taken sir! I believe the question was once asked, "...and what happens if one country gets to much of the only currency available..." not sure who it was though. Some thing to be said about a countries ability to maintain its own position in a world economy.

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I don't want to get political here, or offend anyone, but am I alone in not liking the concept of the Euro dollar? Sure it is great for travelers, but what about a nation's individual sovernty?

Old Hippie,

Sure I will not become political, but Americans and Brits just dont get the point : you united in the past to get stronger, the ONLY possible future for Europe is an united Europe.

I'll be the first one to argue about all what they are doing, but in general a lot more good has come out of it than bad....

Archived