Currency

phiketpete

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

A point well taken sir! I believe the question was once asked, "...and what happens if one country gets to much of the only currency available..." not sure who it was though. Some thing to be said about a countries ability to maintain its own position in a world economy.

Old hippie,

Again my 2 satangs worth : do note all has been perfectly regulated and organised, most criticism are from people who have not bothered to get informed....

Also this step ( the Euro ) is only the next logical step in a whole serie : European Army, etc...

Again, not everything done is to my liking, but mostly all is fairly positive.

AND it has nothing to do that at this right moment all heads of state are meeting in Brussels, about 23 km from here ( thats 14 miles for you smile.gif" border="0 )

I take your points again, but why have one army, one currency, what next, one government? what if you all don't agree? if you have one "united order" then what is the point to individual countries and cultures? Why not one language? I do understand I am looking at this from a different perspective, just trying to gain some insight here.

[ December 14, 2001: Message edited by: Old hippie ]

You might want to try to exchange the Finnish markka in Phuket -- large numbers of Finns travel there. Finnair has occassional direct chartered flights there during the winter.

Just a thought, if you are planning on visiting Phuket anytime soon.

I agree with Khun Sanuk, I thought that the EEC was supposed to be about Economics, not Politics, and a single currency will never work to everyones benefit without political union.

laugh.gif" border="0

[ December 16, 2001: Message edited by: seasider ]

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Many thanks for all your suggestions, well at least the practical ones, not the political.

As I posted earlier Bank of Asia was loath to change much even including pesetas.

I ventured into a branch of Bangkok Bank and they were happy to exchange my swedish and danish crowns, + finnish markka, but again not my pesetas.They also told me that as of next year they would not be exchanging those currencies. I assume that they meant the 'euro' currencies

So I tried stickmans suggestion and ventured down to the Siam Exchange near MBK. Pesetas no problem. They even took my cypriot pounds after a telephone call. However even they baulked at my icelandic kroner. Any offers anyone.

Again thanks to all

[ December 26, 2001: Message edited by: phiketpete ]

• 4 weeks later...

Archived