Two German tourists arrested for having sex in ancient Ayutthaya temple

limbo

Not that I know of. Must have been about 1972, before I got here. The idiots sent the photos to a local shop to be developed. The morons were expelled from the country and the government started enforcing the number of missionaries allowed per denomination. Seems the Mormons had more than they were supposed to, so some of them got shipped off to Malaysia.

Aha ... found this:

<< The story of those photos was legend amongst certain Asia-bound missionaries twenty years ago (or at least amongst a certain set of us Korea-bound ones). Lanny Britsch talked about it some in his book on the church in East Asia, From the East. They were more than sent home; they were arrested, found guilty of desecration, sentenced to 6 months in jail, and they served the whole term, before being deported. I always wondered

what happened to those poor, irresponsible, unthinking 19-year-olds: did they turn bitter, or repentant; did their parents change wards out of shame? Anyone out there know the rest of the story?

Comment by Russell Arben Fox â?? 3/10/2008 >>

<< I served in Thailand about six years after the headless bhudda incident. At the time I entered the MTC, the missionary handbook had a specific rule about not desecrating the religious shrines of other faiths. When I got to Thailand, we were entertained with stories about the conditions in the prison where those â??gentlemenâ?? served their time. I actually got to see a thai prison as a visitor and gitmo is a spa resort by comparison. I suppose that since it has been almost forty years since that happened that the institutional memory of the event has faded a bit. Iâ??ll bet there are some meetings being held to get culture training at the MTC tightened up. >>

Comment by James â?? 3/10/2008

http://timesandseasons.org/index.php/2008/03/missionary-photos/

Archived