Work in BKK?

This question has no doubt popped up several times on this board.

But, is there any chance of finding work in BKK?

I am an engineer thou not with a degree and also a rugby coach with vast knowledge on sports, physical education and lirting weights.

I draw the line at pole dancing though.

Any advice will be appreciated for this 39 year old suffering from touch deprivation.

Regards,

John

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about those of you who have made the jump successfully? It is not just mutlinational placements and English teachers, is it?

I have been trying to circulate a resume through local BKK headhunters for months, with nary a word in reply. And the economy's decline is certainly not aiding the process.

But would love to learn from those of you who took the chance how you got started, and how you ultimately pulled it off.

And then, of course, was it what you thought it would be, and/or was it worth it anyway? shocked.gif" border="0

YES, to anyone who has made a successfull move from the West to Thailand, I would love to hear your story. I am a 28 year old architect/photographer/artist/web/multi-media designer. IN short... a jack of all trades and master of none. It's not that I have anything against teaching english, but I would much rather hear a story of someone who made it work in Thailand without doing the traditional "1.multinational or 2.teach english". If that's you... please...inspire us!!!

Kane,

The issue is in your post....if you are looking for employment in a foriegn country then you need skills that add value to the workforce already in Thailand... Which "normally" means you are a master at it because in every country there are thousands of people who are Jack of all Trades who have the local insight and language skills....There will be exceptions in all cases....

The more interestings ones I know of was a guy who worked as an accountant for a major accountancy firm for 5 years and then decided he wanted to be an advertising executive ....In his home country (Australia) all the major advertising companies laughed in his face....He came up to HK to meet a friend and decided to check out the opportunities....He got a job after spending an afternoon and night in a pub with the interviewer getting absolutely hammered....

Ironically, he now has worked on the major global brands and dwarfs the possible accounts he could have had in Australia....

This scenario proves that you can get lucky in the big cities...

Not sure if this helps anyone though....

Sanukboot.

Thanks SanukBoot. Your reply is inspiring somewhat but also puzzling. What values does the city of Bangkok need exactly? How do you know this? The 'jack of all trades, master of none' line is really more of a saying than my own truth. I honestly believe I am better than average in what I do, not just in skill but in determination to get me there. Sure, I can have some hope of getting drunk in a bar and falling into chance, but better than that, I'm just looking for someone with a little knowledge and insight to point out even the smallest light at the end of the tunnel...and I will reach it. Thanks for your help so far...much appreciated.

What Vales does Bangkok need? Difficult to answer and it will change based on the industry you are in....Can't really answer that.

How do I know that? I nearly accepted a job in BKK due to my expertise in a certain piece of software. I declined the job due to salary.....So I have gone through the process....

I also know because I am an expat in Hong Kong. One of the requirements for me to renew my work permit in HK is that I bring expertise to the local workforce and I train them up. This requirement is the same in Bangkok. Sure, you only need a written letter from the employer stating this but the employer needs to believe that you can add value to the company. This increases Ten fold if there are large cultural and language differences....

Sanukboot.

Hmmmm... I can see your point. While I'm unfortunately far from fluent in Thai, I would hope that any technical knowledge I have could be couple with a true appreciation for Eastern culture. While architecture and multimedia is definitely my strongpoint, artistic expression and social reflection are things that I greatly felt lacking during my brief stay in BKK. There is much to reveal about the culture of BKK and while I realize that finding someone to pay me to help do this is probably very difficult, I would like to use my current multimedia business here in the USA as a starting point in Thailand (you might have to read other posts I have made to undestand that fully). Anyhow, you've made good points worth keeping in mind. thanks.

btw, how long have u been working in HK? What kind of work do you do (if you don't mindn me asking)?

My advice get creative- everyones a jack of all trades these days , we all know IT/PC photo stuff / etc etc.( though I still can't fix my scanner!!)

I think I have hit it on the head though with my plan of selling Sybian Mechanical Fucking Machines at street stalls on Sukhumvit at a cut price rate to all & sundry , I was wondering how to do it too , before I struck on this bit of genius -invest in the Sybian Bar & you may never need to work again!! This is the sort of idea I think you need to make a go of it in BKK , or teach english of course!! smile.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0

The problem with finding a job in Thailand is getting the work permit. You have to prove that a Thai cannot do the job you are applying for, and that's quite hard to do except for English teachers of course. Also its a lot of paper work and expense for the company and many don't want to be bothered unless you have exceptional skills.

Its much easier to get work in Hong Kong or Sinapore which have more free market policies than Thailand. Depending on why you want to come to Asia you could try there.

Archived