Work in BKK?

HOW TO GET A JOB IN BKK

I have been incharge of hiring 3 expats for the organization I work with and have learnt alot about the process of getting a job in Thailand from it.

Everyone at our organization got the job because of who they know not what they know. It does not matter about your experience/ degrees or lack there of. If I recommend a friend who is an average worker and there is an outstanding candidate in competition with my friend, my friend will get the job. It is simple, hire those you know. Now if my friend does not perform it will be my job to straighten him out not human resources.

The good companies/ organizations/ schools WILL NEVER submit an ad in the paper. They consider it beneath them. Why advertise that you are in need of a new employee and risk losing face. When I advertise for the position, I do so under a fake name. If the powers that be ever came across an ad I put in with the offical name of the organization on it, the shit would hit the fan.

Name brand is important and essential. If you have experience with a multi-national company or graduated from a recognized school, you are half way there. Just keep on mentioning that previous experience and the Thai will eat it up.

If you are married or have a thai girlfriend, mention that.. The thais love it. Even if she is a slag or a street dweller, the fact that you have a thai GF will help allow the Thais

to feel as if you are one of them, not an outsider white boy.

Thais take forever making a decision, it might take months from the time you submit the CV until you get the job. By the time they set up committees and organize everything, they the boss MUST put his stamp of approvial on it it could be a few months before they even get back to you. For the postions that I have filled, it took about 3 months until the canditate got accepted. Every director, boss, committee member will have to see CV. If I did not at least allow the director to vito the applicant or feel as if he/she had the final say in the matter, my ass would be grass. Things take time!!!

There is pristege in having farangs working and the work permit issue really does not matter to the bigger companies, if they want you they will get you the work permit. I know a guy who teaches THAI to expats and other Thais, now I am sure that does not come under one of the categories that a farang can do, but he still gets the work permit. The paper work for any job can say english teacher!!

reality strikes

One of the problem of being a high paying expat is that your job has no security.. I make over 10x the salary that the Thais do in the same position. I know that if there is something remotely wrong with my appearence or relationship with my coworkers , I will be out the door. Thais will have jobs for life, they would have to kill someone before they got fired. For an employer to lose face enough to have to fire some Thai, does not outway the small salary that they are on. it is not worth it. But a expat on a high salary, will not be warned, but is some small way they will let you know your contract will not be extended.

Good job hunting

WYD

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THAIHOME, et al.:

I am really quite interested in your concept of company loyalty, THAIHOME. You have obviously not worked for a large corporation or firm in the US, or else you would know that the concept of an employee's loyalty to company went by the wayside several years ago, when companies broke the unspoken concept of loyalty to their employees with massive, short-sighted layoffs while top execs were pulling in huge bonuses.

Like it or not, an employee has the obligation to look out for himself; no one else is going to. If I joined a company based on the proposition that I would be located in BKK, and that is where I wanted to be and where I had developed a network and knowledge base, then I probably would not pick up and move to China just because the company wanted me to do so.

Look at Enron, Global Crossing and other MNCs; their gigs are up. Their track records of malfeasence have finally been uncovered. Enron, by all accounts, was a company that supposedly placed employee loyatly above all else. Who gets shafted first? The employees! Their loyalty did them a lot of good, eh?

If you have been treated fairly and equitably by your employer, good for you. Of course that is likely to instill a sense of loyalty and responsibility. Can you be disappointed at this other guy for leaving and taking business with him? Sure. But don't go on about loyalty. Obviously something wasn't working for him.

Sorry for the ranting....is it obvious that I am not having a particularly good day?

• 4 weeks later...

I would be surprised if short term expat assignments become popular. One reason for a long term assignment is that it is generally cheaper for the company as the expat is able to break residency (or in the case of an American, qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion) and the tax bite is much less punitive for the company.

Sanukboot,

> [color:blue]"In HK there is still demand for skilled IT professionals in the Banking/Finance sector. It should be noted that the demand is nowhere near as great as 6 months to 1 year ago. "color=blue>

I am an IT professional in the Banking/ Finance sector. Do you have any reliable addresses/ urls for firms?

A few questions...How much money do I need to live in LOS long term? If I earn 12,000 a year in interest in us what business can I successfully/breakeven run in LOS and where? Does anyone know how much a massage parlour or GOGO costs?

My situation: I'm 27, I go to LOS 2 tay for 4 months,by 33 my net worth will be 170 to 220K us, I want to retire/work/business in LOS in 6 years and want to start examining ideas now. Does anyone have any ideas as to what is a good plan or stategy to implement in LOS. What type of business seems to work well-break even. Any ideas?

SkiBum,

> [color:blue]"How much money do I need to live in LOS long term?"color=blue>

Difficult to answer, as it is always up to the living-standard etc.

IMO, for a descent living and fall-back-scenario/ trouble insurances included, THB 100,000 per month would be a good basis.

I feel OK when I earn 100 000/month in BKK.Sometimes it's significantly more, other times it goes the other way.

Remember some local do between 4 and 5000.Quite a few westerners seem to make ends meet with less than 40 000.

Someone in this thread talked about 200 m2 in a high rise.I'd say it costs from 60 to 100K a month

Peter is right U should say more about the living standart U're aiming at

Ski Bum: Your U.S.$12,000 a year in interest comes to, at today's exchange rate, 43,500 baht per month. You will be quite comfortable on that. My wife and I make flat salaries and bring in together just under 60,000 per month. I don't hit the bars TOO often, though, 1-3 times a month is all.

A single man in Bangkok can live okay on what you make on interest. You can barfine maybe 2 or 4 times a month. Massage parlors differ in price, but a place like Annie's is good and affordable. You could even hit Eden once or twice, I'll bet. Stickman had an interesting thread on cost of living here in his column not too long ago, and he said that 40,000 is the minimum to live comfortably on in Bangkok for a farang, and I tend to agree.

You'll need more if you get a regular girlfriend, but if you work or go into business, you can consider whatever you make here gravy, to spend or save as you please; what you make in interest will see you through here okay.

Thanks for the comments! I want to have a nice 1 or 2 bed room condo. I have found some nice places around the 25000bht range. I also plan to have a steady girlfriend/mate.

If anyone can comment on types of business that seem to work well for flang. I could invest maybe 5 to 7 million baht in something.

I also don't mind teaching english. I wouldn't have a vehicle, I would like to have a maid, I want to go out twice weekly, start a family, and travel home once a year. I figure my 44,000 baht monthly from us interests needs to be up-d about 30 to 50,000 bht. Teaching would hit it at the low end but at the high end ????

Any ideas........I could always wait to retire in LOS but that would suck!

SkiBum

Hi,

"I want to have a nice 1 or 2 bed room condo. I have found some nice places around the 25000bht range. I also plan to have a steady girlfriend/mate.

I wouldn't have a vehicle, I would like to have a maid, I want to go out twice weekly, start a family, and travel home once a year."

OK, rough estimate:

rent + utils = 28,000 Baht

food + groceries = 5-10,000 Baht (more if you plan to eat out a lot)

transportation = 1-4,000 Baht (depending on how often you go somewhere, and what you use)

maid = 2-3,000 Baht

entertainment = 8-10,000 Baht (assuming ~ 1,000 Baht per evening, i.e no barfining)

travel home = ~8,000 Baht (per month, ~100K for a trip)

insurance = ~2,000 Baht (2 people)

incidentals (visa, repairs, small trips, etc) = 5-10,000 Baht

money for your gf's family (yes, this will likely happen) = 5-10,000 Baht

Add this up and you are looking at 64K - 85K

Oh, one thing regarding the family. If you want you kid(s) to have a good eduction, be prepared to pay for it, bigtime! International schools are *very* expensive.

"I figure my 44,000 baht monthly from us interests needs to be up-d about 30 to 50,000 bht."

Looks about right.

Also please keep in mind that $1,000 gives you ~43,500 Baht *now*, no telling what this will be in a couple of years. And then there is inflation of course.

Sanuk!

Archived