Work in BKK?

"Oh, one thing regarding the family. If you want you kid(s) to have a good eduction, be prepared to pay for it, bigtime! International schools are *very* expensive. "

When i read about the thai education system,the matter comes to my mind.Can you or anyone give more detailed prices about those schools??

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Also please keep in mind that $1,000 gives you ~43,500 Baht *now*, no telling what this will be in a couple of years. And then there is inflation of course."

Actually, U.S.$1000 should always be just about right, no matter what the exchange rate is. It was pointed out in Stickman that before the crash $1000 was 25,000 baht, and THAT was adequate. Now it's 43,500 baht, and that's about the same level as the 25,000 baht of yesteryear. That seems to be the magic minimum, 1000 bucks. (Well, okay, maybe 800-900 could be the magic minimum.)

Don't know about Thailand, but when I was starting up our organization in another country, I went to "head hunters" that specialize in local expats.

If you have them in Thailand, perhaps getting known at one of those places might bear fruit.

Hi,

"Actually, U.S.$1000 should always be just about right, no matter what the exchange rate is. It was pointed out in Stickman that before the crash $1000 was 25,000 baht, and THAT was adequate. Now it's 43,500 baht, and that's about the same level as the 25,000 baht of yesteryear."

Yes, but prices have to go up, hardly ever down.

So, if the rate would go down to 35, I seriously doubt that prices would go down by 12.5% as well.

Sanuk!

I would caution strongly against retiring or slowing down your income at too young an age. Thailand will change greatly in the next 40 years and there are way too many unknowns for you not to have a very large cushion in your finances. Not to mention that personal disaster can wipe out half or more of your finances (e.g. business goes completely bankrupt because your partner was embezzling and burying you in debt; you get a divorce and the wife gets half, ...). As a farang you are even more susceptible to any sudden changes in sentiment (e.g. Thailand could easily pass a law that makes it impossible for you to stay, or that might force you to sell your business interests at a huge discount).

If you have twice the income you need to live comfortably and are willing to supplement your income, if need be, by teaching or some other relatively low-paid profession then you might be safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Perhaps obvious and no doubt discussed before, but bear with me a bit. Property ownership for foreigners. The rules anyone? I'm not so much interested in a house, but rather an apartment or condo to "purchase".

Is it of any help if you are married to a Thai girl in the bureaucratic sphere of things involving property? The general run-down if anyone has it would be appreciated.

regards.

Thats probably the soundest idea, although living in Thailand as a very young man ie 20's is appealing, but I don't know many people in there 20's and indeed early 30's whou could do it successfully.

If you worked hard from 25 - 35 you could if you didnt marry in the west get enough together so that you didnt need to work again.

But as the other poster said people in Bkk would help you find

Archived