Considerations for buying or renting a condo in central BKK?

doxx

I FORGOT TO MENTION construction methods are total shite compared with the west .piping is bad ,plastic waste pipes set in concrete so if you get leaks you are in trouble.

An excellent point!

I think above states that if a house you have to 'live' there during construction or stuff gets lost or not done as you thought it would.

If a condo - well - pretty close to the same.

New v/s used. Lot's have chimed in on this one. Do some real reseach on this concept.

I wrote an article titled "Why I will never buy a condo in Bangkok" a few months back.

Why I Will Never Buy A Condo

The days of buying a condo at 3,000,000+ baht qualifying for an investment visa are long gone (although those who were already in the system prior to the law change DO get a visa based on the original purchase.)

Yet again the self proclaimed voice of Thailand is full of Shit, spouting off about things he has no experience of, then again I doubt that a ten bob english teacher would ever get on the first rung of the property ladder.

The Old Investment visa has gone, agreed, but if one owns property in Thailand it can be used as collateral for company formation and to get work permit. How do I know? Because I just did it yesterday showed my Yellow house book and bank valuation letter of the properties and it was accepted as collateral for company formation and the work permit(s)

Stick May I suggest you just stick (pun intended) to what you actually know about, I doubt it that would make your weekly blurb less than 10 words!

For the record I bought my place, 4 bed 2 Bath, 2 living rooms for 1.2 Millo in '98 just after the crash when we got over 60 THB to the dollar, works out at less than $150 / Month rent if I was to back calculate.

When the sun rises I can look from the east balcony and see Asoke, at sunset I look from the west balcony and see Silom, the expressway exit / entry ramps are less than 1 KM away and its a 10 Baht motocyc ride to the MTR.

OK I had been here 7 years before I actualy bought but I knew where I wanted to live location wise, I got lucky on the exchange rate and the drop in prices during the crash but if I was to walk away now I would still be in profit compared to what I would have paid rent but I doubt that will happen. Back in '98 I was the only farang here now its probably 20% farang tenureship as soon as someone advertises a 85 SQM 2 Bed for 25K / month rental it is taken so I am confident that I could get 40K / Month if I was to rent out my place.

Bottom line, property for investment, forget it, but if you have long term plans about living here it probably makes more sense to buy than rent. The wife makes the killing on property investments but she is Thai and has contacts from Uni, its the way the game works over here, nepatism rules anyone who things otherwise will get their fingers well and truely burned.

For the record ... when we got over 60 THB to the dollar.

How did you manage that? I don't remember ever getting more than 55 and the history charts seem to show the same?

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/hist1997.html

http://www.x-rates.com/d/THB/USD/hist1998.html

The web site http://www.oanda.com suggests 55.8 on 13JAN98 was the lowest the baht came?

Archived