Can taxes and fees come to $600.00? on an airline ticket

dean

I found a website, asap.com, that listed some really cheap fares from the U.S. to Bangkok, starting at $300 out of LAX and $440 out of MCI. I checked with them on a fare from MCI-BKK in February for $490. They came back with a fare of $1,090, about $600 more than the base fare that they list. Thats about $150 more than the base fees charged by skyauction.com for the same route. Having cashed in NWA miles many times for a ticket on that route, I know that the fee charged by NWA is in the $160-$200 range. Other than one hell of a "profit" fee, is there something that I'm missing?

British airlines is the worst. 800$ for a roundtrip ticket from the U.S to Bangkok but when you click on it the taxes and fees are well over 1000$! 1800 for the ticket. Fucking rediculous! I realize that english plane companies have to pay a different tax or something along the lines that the american airlines don't but that is still absurd.

I had a look at the website you mentioned and I was shocked at some of the low base fares. JAL for example was just over $300 LAX-BKK. I've never seen a fare, even a consolidator fare, that low.

So I had a look at JAL's website and saw that their fuel surcharges for travel in January amounted to $652. Add on to that other fees and taxes.

No wonder they have to have such a low base fare just to remain competitive!

Pretty insane. :crazy:

Archived