Fed lowers overnight interest rate to 0 to 0.25%

teddy

-> $ very strong?? The USD has been falling all day long against other major currencies and is right now accelerating its fall...

And anyway I don't have answers otherwise I would head a central bank and I don't wish to see the USD at 0,5 euro...

Egoistically I don't care if the euro or the USD gets stronger as I can receive my salary in one of the two currencies -> if it goes on like that, the euro will be back at 50 bht in a few days.

I don't think the rate cut itself had that much impact. The effective rate was already at 18bp (less than the 25bp I mentioned before) so the rate cut isn't really a rate cut and the market knew that. However, Fed made aggressive statements that they will step up their purchase of long-term treasuries and Fannie/Freddie paper.

One factor driving EUR appreciation is comments by Trichet yesterday that ECB may not cut rates in January. So ECB has basically isolated themselves from UK and US. Kinda selfish, IMO. This really sets EUR up for a drop in January if Trichet changes his mind...

There is only one place for Bernanke to go now. If things don't turn around, he'll announce either a commitment to keeping rates at zero for a fixed period or he'll cap long-term treasury yields or both. I think markets are reflecting their belief that Bernanke is moving in that direction and signs of hesitation will result in USD appreciation.

The Feds can lower the interest as much as they want but if creditors don't want to loan at a reasonable rate and terms, it hasn't accomplish one iota.

I agree. The last time we experienced this kind of liquidity trap was the Great Depression. The only thing left in the arsenal is a massive fiscal stimulus. This is kinda scary when you consider that people like The Terminator are pushing to balance budgets and raise taxes when they should be doing the opposite.

Yes Trichet has passed his anouncement...

I wouldn't say selfish (after all UK never wanted to join EU so why should EU fall with the £? Or solidarity with the US, when the current situation US fault and the US trying to escape by all means) but probably a mistake...

Of course the old bastard might be proven "right" if EU economy restarts....

Otherwise the euro will drop again but I think the people who were dreaming (for which reason?) of a parity USD-Euro-pounds will be just dreamers...

Anyway, I jsut monitor the currency exchange market, I don't try to make sense out of it

Archived