Getting a Dental Implant - The Story So Far...

Ryder

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am just considering an implant myself but made in Germany because my health insurance covers it anyway . ( US -citizens : a health insurance is a nice thing to have )

I just want to mention that in case of a weak jaw structure due to age or whatever an implant can become a hell of a mess . I would have an xray made at home just to get a non-comercially based advice about the strength of your jaw in the relevant area . In case it is too weak it needs a plastic insert first which is a real operation .

I have received three implants this year in Germany. The drilling is no fun and I had to take the next day off, because the following 24 hours I felt very dizzy form the OP, the anaesthetisation and the pain killers/antibiotika.

For the first implant I had an MRI (around 100 EUR) and the lab build a small plastic form for the driller drilling the whole in correct place, since the lower jaw had already lost some bone.

I was told, without an implant the bone will become smaller over the years, but with an implant this won't happen. Therefore it is probably the best to have the implant as soon as possible after the tooth is gone.

Anyway everything went fine until I ran out of money and I do not have the substitute tooth yet, but hopefully everything will be finished in January.

By the way I had contemplated to have the implant done in BKK, but I did decide against it, because I found the risk too high in case something would go wrong and I would had to take the plane back home ill and with unfinished business..

If a tooth is gone you can get either get a bridge or an implant. A brigde is cheaper, but the two teeth next to the missing tooth will be affected. Also the jaw bone will become thinner.

An implant is more expensive, but does not affect the other tooth and the jaw bone will stay strong. Also the implant seems to be much more durable.

Anybody got any info on mini implants in Thailand? That was probably the one Gallagher got. They were cleared by the FDA a few years ago I believe. Instant tooth...no waiting around. Only difference is size of peg I believe which is still titanium but smaller so screws straight through gum into bone and tooth goes on it. I knew they were doing them in the states but are they here in Thailand yet? Cheaper too as they are quick.

Not heard of them Brookie.

UPDATE:

Just been for two more appointments with Dr Drill.

Both times the ever helpful doc. took a look at the implant and is happy with its progress.

It's taken to the bone well, the graft is good and there's no pain either :)

All being well D-Day for the final showdown is in Mid-March time.

As I was leaving an elderly farang lady mooched about outside getting her footware off.

"Seven" said the receptionist chirped up cheekily.

Not quite understanding what she meant I asked her.

"She getting seven implants!" The receptionist giggled.

The pain of just one is enough, imagine seven of the suckers buzzing on in there :o

LOL.

• 2 months later...

Ok, just went back for what I thought was the last appointment.

Went in, the first thing Dr Drill did was unscrew the implant.

Out it came.

Then a dummy implant with a fake tooth was fitted and impressions (top and bottom) were made.

This done the real implant was re-inserted. This hurt a bit as the gum had closed in a bit since it had been removed and was probably tender. After a minute or two the pain faded though.

Then came the colour matching. For this I had a panoply of plastic toothes with shades from whiter than white to dark tobbaco stains!

Narrowing the colours down to one of two I got some light on the case and finally made my choice.

Dr Drill took a comparison as a second opinion and readily agreed.

All that remains now is for the tooth to be made up and it to be inserted.

Which should be (all being well) in about 2 weeks :)

Archived