Working in BKK - Maybe teaching in other languages then english ?

dsab

Hello,

I was just wondering, if there is an demand for people who could teach other languages then english. I have the TOEFL-Certification, but I would prefer to teach in one of my native languages (German and Dutch).

Does somebody know something about the possibilitiy to find this kind of job ?

THX,

Daniel

Goethe Insitute employs a little number of german tachers but they absolutely must be mothertongue.

Months ago a friend of mine (like me he's from Switzerland but our mothertongue is Italian even if we both can speak very well German) made a preliminary call but he was told they can hire only mothertongue AND well qualified (german or german Swiss modern languages university degree) teachers.

Swissman

"I have never heard of a Thai learning Dutch and really they do not need to. I mean, have you ever met a Dutch person who didn't speak near perfect English?"

I agree with that laugh.gif" border="0

But then there are the Belgians. Because it is not a real country, the southern part just speaks french and the nothern part speaks dutch.

smile.gif" border="0

It might be worth contacting the bigger international schools. I knew a guy once who was attached to the elementary school to support Dutch students there and teach them their own language. It was not a full-time job but it might be a nice addition to an English teaching job. He left for a full-time job in Indonesia eventually, where your chances would be much better.

If the school offers the IB Diploma, which most do, the students all have to study 2 languages, one of which must be English, the other will often be their mother tongue though depending which level they are studying, it may be more of a literature course. Some schools offer a set choice of languages, others attempt to accommodate their students wishes to the extent of employing someone part-time just to teach one or two students for 4 or 5 hours a week. Somewhere like NIST probably offer around 15 languages.

Ruamrudee International School has a separate Swiss section where the curriculum is taught in German. I would imagine their demands would be similar to those mentioned earlier relating to the Goethe Institute.

Check out http://www.dssb.org/ris_philosophy.html - there are details of vacancies for 2002-03

LG

quote:

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

"I have never heard of a Thai learning Dutch and really they do not need to. I mean, have you ever met a Dutch person who didn't speak near perfect English?"

I agree with that
laugh.gif" border="0

But then there are the Belgians. Because it is not a real country, the southern part just speaks french and the nothern part speaks dutch.
smile.gif" border="0

Think1stbkk,

Maybe next time think 4 or even 6 times before giving such childish comments on people you dont know.....

I can only guess where you come from, and thats not really a compliment to you....

Oh, and yes, I know many Dutch who dont speak English well, just watch the Dutch news...

Back on the subject, I did meet 1 Dutch guy teaching dutch and history, but that was at the international school and not fulltime.

quote:

... and America is not a real country because they don't speak American there, Canada is not a real country because we don't speak Canadian, Australia is not a real country because they don't speak Australian, ...

... or were you just having a brain fart?

JG

Archived