Windows Vista question

dude sweet

I unfortunately "upgraded" my laptop to Windows Vista. I'm not too happy with it but stuck with it never the less.

Anyway I'm staying in Bangkok now with high speed internet access. I would like to download alot of content automatically so when I head up-country i have something to read.

On previous versions of Windows I think it was called sychronizing for off-line viewing. I can't find anything like that in Windows Vista.

Anyone have any ideas?

On previous versions of Windows I think it was called sychronizing for off-line viewing. I can't find anything like that in Windows Vista.

Anyone have any ideas?

The offline favorites feature has been removed from Internet Explorer. If you want to read web content when you are not connected to the Internet, here are a couple of different ways to do it:

â?¢ Subscribe to an RSS feed. Many websites offer content as feeds, which can be downloaded and read offline. For more information about feeds, see Using feeds (RSS).

â?¢ Save a webpage as a web archive (MHT) or HTML file. For more information, see Save a webpage as a file.

To save a webpage as a file

Click to open Internet Explorer.

Go to the webpage you want to save.

Click the Page button, and then click Save As.

Navigate to the folder where you want to save the webpage. By default, webpages are saved in the Documents folder.

Type a new name in the File name box if you want to change the name.

In the Save as type box, do one of the following:

To save all the files associated with the page, including graphics, frames, and style sheets in their original format, select Webpage, complete.

To save all information as a single file, select Web Archive, single file (*.mht).

To save just the current HTML page, without graphics, sounds, or other files, select Webpage, HTML only.

To save just the text from the current webpage, select Text File.

Click Save.

Another helpful hint regarding Vista: Uninstall Google Desktop and Toolbar; they cause nothing but problems.

Security is an illusion with Firefox.

Initially, Mozilla didnâ??t publish press releases alerting users to vulnerabilities allowing Firefox users to continue surfing exposed in their ignorance. MSFT did the *right* thing by publishing issues and alerting that fixes were available.

Between November 2004 and October 2007 MSFT patched 87 problems (54 critical) versus Firefox, who patched a total of 199 (75 critical) over the same time period. Furthermore, MSFT left 11 issues unresolved, whereas Firefox left 24 issues unfixed. Firefox does not sound like itâ??s more secure to me!

With regard to plug-ins, Mozilla says:

[T]he Mozilla Foundation has never claimed that extensions willingly installed by users are safe and it's long been known to the savvy that extensions can do practically anything once they are running on a user's system. However, it's worrying that some users believe that extensions are implicitly safe. Link

The simple truth is that developers of both browsers have been kept busy patching things (Firefox moreso than IE), and to say that Firefox is somehow more secure is just plain dishonest.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the repilies. What I did was manually download (view) a number of sites and pages. When I clicked "work off line" in the file menu I was only able to view some of them.

All the pages I viewed from Thai360 were not available offline! All of the pages from the stickman site were available however. Next time I will try to do like JaiDJ says and save as.

Hi,

"All the pages I viewed from Thai360 were not available offline! All of the pages from the stickman site were available however."

That is because the pages on Stick's site are static HTML, while the ones here are created 'on the fly' by the message board software.

Sanuk!

Archived