Its Time To Get Financially Smart

Steve

Everyone is sent completely different signals. Everyone, including the government, says people are hocked up their necks in debt. That its wise to save. I remember years ago how we all heard about the high savings rate in Japan and for us to emulate that. We are all told collectively we are living way beyond our means. We have too much debt.

However, we are all told to spend, spend, spend to 'stimulate' the economy.

Which one is it? Save or spend? I know what I'll choose but why the mixed message from the powers that be?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do a Google on 'Alex Jones infowars"

He has a video (among many) that provides clear proof that the US gov has TRILLIONS of dollars in "reserve". Alex cites the Texas "Comprehensive Financial Report" for 1999, where Texas (alone) has about 400 Billion in reserves.

The US gov (and many other govs) make a "budget" and are always crying that they are out of money, raise the taxes, etc.

The US gov doesn't tell the whole story, where the US gov has invested in the stock market, etc and has made TRILLIONS of dollars, enough so that in three years, no US citizen would ever have to pay any tax again!

Hmm...very interesting. I'm sure there are things the government is doing that they aren't telling us. I may seem like a conspiracy nut but I do think there are segments of our government that act as a 'shadow' government. I'm especially suspicious of our military and intelligent communities. However, the Dept. of Treasury falls under that scope as well.

Kamui: I read a description of the book. I like what I read. I have 3 cards and was trying to pay off the largest balance first but the book description says pay off the smallest then the next biggest, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed "The richest man in babylon" I remember it saying always put 10% of your income away as savings. Learn to live on the 90% whatever it is you earn.

Also enjoyed rich dad, poor dad series.

Its going to get a lot lot worse this year, all the new builds that have been built near me are empty. Pubs almost empty.

This year will be a very interesting, try and keep your outgoings and direct debits to a minimum.

STH

I would really recommend to buy this book Link.

It preaches what RayRay did.

Excellent book ! I gave my son a copy last year and he's following it to the letter. He's maybe another year away from being debt-free. Ramsey has a TV show nightly here in the U.S. where he takes telephone calls from listeners with questions.

HH

• 6 months later...

I'm a bit late updating this earlier post as promised 6 months or so ago. Had to wait for first half year housing data. Could someone double check the FTSE and DJI figures... seem a bit low.

Of course today's stock market and housing figures are healthier, but you've got to have a cut off date.

Place you bets now, folks, for the end of the year 31st December 2009

Not counting taxes, dividends, rental income, fees or exchange rates (all important factors to weigh up... along with peace of mind!), $100k invested on 31st December 2008 would be worth on 30 June 2009

Australian All Ordinaries stock market index 3591 >> 3947 ..... $109,914

Australian median house price in A$ A$447,659 >> $486,515 ..... $108,680

Gold price US$ 873 >> 928.50 ..... $106,357

Commonwealth Bank of Australia Term Deposit A$100k 6 mth 4.5% pa >> 3.9% pa ..... $102,250

Dow Jones Index 8,668 >> 8448 ..... $97,462

FTSE 4,392 >> 4249 ..... $96,744

Good luck.

:beer:

You are to be commended for your re-dedication to financial principles but realisticly, how bad can it be? From what you've said, you have a good job, no wife and no kids. Just keep that up and put away at least 10% of your income in investments and you should be fine.

Unless of course your a serial entruepenure - typing with a thai keyboard - many of us here th\ry to start something new - the "conservitive" concepts are alien to us - we want to make something new. Me KS and some others.

Archived