Pattaya / Jomtien for Couple? (Location/Hotel)

sidsanuk

Hi All,

Have been reading all the Hotel advice on Pattaya/Jomtien, but could not quite find what I am looking for.

I'll be in BKK mid Jan with Mrs Sid and want to head down to the beach for a break one weekend. We have been to Jomtien a few times and quite like it as it is away from the main action. Actually stayed at the Rabbit resort which we enjoyed, but have come to the conclusion it is way over priced for the quality provided. That coupled with a down turn in business, and low Aussie $ means we are now looking for the 'cheap and cheerful' category. Well at least cheap and clean.

What we are looking for is a quiet place, on the beach, not over run by farang with their rental girl/boy friends and conversely not full of screaming kids, max budget B2,000/night. Tall order I know, but maybe someone knows of a gem out there somewhere. (We are not prudes and Mrs Sid is Thai, so we know the score, just after a quiet time).

We quite like Jomtien, and yes, even though the Rabbit resort is up in the gay area, the gay scene is not too 'in your face' and not too many kids which is a plus. Don't get me wrong, kids are great if you are into them.....I'm just not, particularly when I'm trying to relax and chill out.

Are there other beach areas worth considering? Any tips on quiet beachside hotels most appreciated.

Thanks Guys

Rabbit is certainly not in a quiet area! as more south you go along the beach as more quiet (and less farangs) it gets.

i have stayed in two hotels there which should be in your price range:

Sigma resort: is a bit old and has many asian group tours (so you have often the swimming pool for yourself), but rooms are big and clean; many good thai restaurants (frequented more by thais than farangs) within walking distance

Natural Park Resort: a bit more new and mainly frequented by Thais (so might have more kids); rooms nice and big; also just across beach road

other beach areas with no bar scene at all or much less: further south, Rayong etc.

Bang Saen

for your plans consider chinese new year (26.-28 Jan and weekend before)

My GF vastly prefers Hua Hin to Jomtien, Especially if you go just south of Hua Hin to Khao Takiab. Lots of places in your desired budget and very quiet too.

Khao Takiab looks good. Thanks for the tip. I guess we only go to Pattaya because it is relatively close to BKK and we usualy only have a couple of days spare when on business trips.

What about Khao Takiab? Harder to get to? Any idea of time by car from Airport or Bang Plad? (Inner West bangkok) near PinkLao. We usually just grab a cab from my wife's family home.

by car to Takiab/Hua Hin

i had usuall 2.5 hours by car from Bangkok, if i drive fast and left before 0600 in the morning. if you leave after 8 on a saturday morning it can be up to 4 hours!

Pattaya is of course much faster with the Motorway now mostly having 4 lanes!

• 5 weeks later...

Well we endeed up in Jomtien again. Just being lazy!

Stayed at the Nirvava Boutique Hotel. Quite cheap Baht 1500 but wouldn't go there again. Noisy Soi, decor not that great.

We checked out some other Hotels whilst there, and if we go again we'll try Dragon Resort or Jomtien Garden. Both under Baht 1500 and quite good rooms/facilities.

But maybe next time we'll try another location. Jomtien is OK, but is probably too much of a Farang magnet. Place seemed to be full of Russians. The guys all obese and flabby, and the girls not bad looking but all with their angry / moody faces on. What's with the Russians, can't they smile and have fun?

As suggested here we might try Hua Hin again. Just seem to remember it was quite a long drive. Jomtien was only 2 hous (including a break).

Next time I think we will be taking the 'family'. Last few trips have been on our own, so feeling a bit selfish. Family will mean a minibus and driver, enough prepared food to last through World War 3 and 2-3 hours of 6 conversations all going on at once. Oh Joy :(

Take a look at Bang Saray, next stop down from Jomtien. It is still a relatively quiet fishing village with a decent beach and some very good seafood restaurants.

Just before Bang Saray is the SUNSET VILLAGE resort which has many of the features you want though a bit above your price range.

Archived