New year death toll on the roads

Faustian

I find these figures so horrifying.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/30092295/New-Year-road-toll-rises-to-143-on-second-of-7-dangerous-days

Copied...

"The road accident death toll of the two first days of the seven dangerous New Year holidays stood at 143, the Road Safety Centre reported Thursday

On Wednesday alone, 87 people were killed and 960 injured on the road during the second of the seven dangerous New Year days,."

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Samak, I actually found most of the car drivers around Udon to be reasonably predictable during my brief stint behind the wheel in June, but the motorbike riders are nothing short of suicidal.

Its one thing to do a U-Turn into 100km/traffic out on the highway when you are the only person on the motorbike, but when you have your *family* onboard ? Maybe they figured that a Farang would never run over a family, no matter how quickly he was forced to brake, nor how many cars ran into the back of his vehicle as he did so .....

Reassuringly (?), they are even worse in Bali, where the average age of motorbike riders seems to be around 12 and they dont get to carried away with little things like helmets, shoes or one-way streets. Central Jakarta and Singapore are still the only places in Asia where I havent had a motorbike rider join me on the footpath - its my pet hate, and I have never wished so ardently for a strand of piano wire. :evil:

Samak, I actually found most of the car drivers around Udon to be reasonably predictable during my brief stint behind the wheel in June

well june is not new year or songkran, when they drive around drunken with 10 peoples or more on the pick up. or 15+ hours nonstop drive back home without redbull!

I think interestingly I read somewhere most accidents take place away from cities & junctions e.g. long wide stretches of main roads I suppose overtaking etc.

Also motobikes & pickups are main involved which goes well with most registered vehicle type I guess :hmmm:

So perhaps the SUV is not the most unsafe vehicle to be inside especially that time of the year bearing in mind all the trucks & buses to avoid?

Fatality numbers this year are on the high side though ain't they (so far)? :(

Archived