Suk Road Dead

youngfarang

The sidewalks of Sukhumvit are a relic of Thaksinâ??s social order crusade kicking off in August 2001 and had their high days in 2003-2005 when virtually all major after hour places have been shut down.

Their decline started with early 2006 when Thaksin started to lose his grip on power. Ever since more and more air-conditioned alternatives (Spice, Boss, Oscar, Lucky, Tunnel, Twilo, Spice, Gazeboâ?¦) have opened and less and less people (especially the girls) bother drinking on Sukhumvit particularly during hot and rainy season.

Honestly I have never been a friend of the sidewalks and would rather like to see them gone for good than their revival.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can only go back ten years, but I can't remember any good ol' days on the Sukhumvit sidewalks. Any kind of vendor, even those who sell alcohol, I pretty much consider a nuisance.

If I'm staggering around there at 3AM without a girl after a night of bar crawling without finding one, then I'd better stop looking because I'm not going to like what I wake up next to in the morning.

Having said that, the skank I woke up with on the one occasion I pulled from there was more like an angel, because she rescued me from passing out in one of those plastic chairs on the sidewalk. Her pick-up line was, "Are you OK?" Much better sleeping with her in my own bed than whatever else might have happened to me being passed out on Suk.

I liked lower Suk before the alchol vendors moved in. There were a few ladyboys, but nothing like the gangs you have today. What was on the streets were Thai ladies who were all looking for a little love juice.

There were a few Thai ladies who would wait for the newbies who arrived on an early morning flight. The newbies would show up jet legged and would be greeted by a few Thai ladies wanting a huge amount of money to get laid. Not too long ago, I saw one of those ladies who was the first Thai lady I met on my first trip. She didn't look like she had aged hardly at all. By the way, when she first quoted me, I just chuckled.

I have never seen it like this. Back when I went to Los in July it was like a ghost town. And then when I went in November-December it was still dead.

A few years ago you (I) wanted to be on Suk Rd at 3 AM in the morning. Now it's just another street to piss on when you have had a little too much Black. Please tell me there is light at the end of the tunnel and it will be reprieved again by the time I get back hopefully in March.

Ps. I know many of you "expats"/"old farts" don't like Suk. Road because there is a lot of "trash" sitting around. Suk road works just fine for me at 3 AM after a few shots of that nasty shit' date=' yaba I believe it is called, that you can get for 15 baht on cowboy, and a bottle of Black. I dont want to hear how ratchada or soi 33 is oh so much better. I just want to know if it will ever pick up again like the good ol' days. Dissapointing if you ask me. [/quote']

Good old days? Few years ago? You have never seen it like this? WTF? You are what... 18/19 yro bro? What the heck are you talking about? How many is a 'few' years? Three? Five? :dunno: Are you comparing Suk now to when you were 13 or 14? :yikes::rotl:

"A few years ago you (I) wanted to be on Suk Rd at 3 AM in the morning."

A few years ago you should have been in bed sleeping so you could get up for school in the morning! :shakehead:doah:

One of my first few trips to Los about 3 years ago was one of the best trips because of Suk. I'm sure it was livelier ten years ago but I'm comparing it from three years ago. Thinking of making a trip there in a few months if I can escape. Surin could be a possibility.

See Hardy's post above. I believe he got it right in terms of the reasons for the sidewalk bars and the timelines.

What Youngfarang saw when he was 15 is not much different then what he sees now at 18. I think the major difference is he is looking at things more as a man then as a youth. (Just my opinion).

You are right, Hardy has it spot on as to what has happened.

What Youngfarang saw when he was 15 is not much different then what he sees now at 18. I think the major difference is he is looking at things more as a man then as a youth. (Just my opinion).

Good, then it's not a case of arrested development. I have a friend who is 51 going on 17, mainly due to non-stop ganja use. One night in the local, some young chick told him he was pretty good looking for an old guy. He just about had a fit, going up to friends and asking, "Am I old? Do I look old?"

It was very funny, in a pathetic kind of way.

I enjoy a little of everything. Variety is the spice of life!

This includes an occasional stroll around lower Sukhumvit. Mostly though I much prefer Cowboy or Soi 33 and 'pull' most of my lady friends from those areas.

The north side of lower Sukhumvit seems predominantly Arab and Indian these days, more so all the time. Both sides of lower Suk have large and increasing numbers of LBs. Also quite a few rather mangy looking farangs around lower Suk, especially in the Nana area. Tons of FLs around everywhere, particularly near the Nana hotel parking lot in the later hours. I don't have a problem with any of this... as 'something for everyone' is a good thing. The 'best' areas are constantly changing, and strolling up and down the side sois along Sukhumvit can reveal some interesting 'talent' occasionally.

In general the 'quality' (for me anyway) is moving east along Sukhumvit. Away from lower Sukhumvit and toward Cowboy, and Soi 33. Soi 22 is also not to be overlooked (I like Titanium which has a great all girl Thai band and some nice hostesses). And a hottie can sometimes be found among the many beer bars on Soi 22 or even Soi 20.

Asian guys like the massage, hostess and karaoke clubs, which are in abundance for them in other areas around Bangkok.

Things are still great in BKK! If you don't find what you like in one area, keep exploring and you will hit 'pay dirt'. Actually the exploring is a lot of fun. Don't limit yourself to just one area.

Archived