Home Network

Old Hippie

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arrrgh, I just tried to add an IBM notebook to our new (Apple) network. For whatever reason it did not work. It seems that I am just too stupid for it (and I am only working since 20 years with PCs).

:banghead:

That's why I will be more than happy that the IBM note will soon be replaced by an ultra new Macbook Pro 17".

:thumbup:

Arrrgh, I just tried to add an IBM notebook to our new (Apple) network. For whatever reason it did not work. It seems that I am just too stupid for it (and I am only working since 20 years with PCs).

:banghead:

That's why I will be more than happy that the IBM note will soon be replaced by an ultra new Macbook Pro 17".

:thumbup:

PS: I am sure that this is not a Mac problem, since our PC network was always a cause for headaches for me. I still remeber will when I tried to add a printer to our previous PC network using a new print server. I gave up after many complaints by our assistant after a few days...

Well, only speaking generally.

Some routers cause problems when they are set to support 11n and one tries to connect a wireless client that only supports 11g.

Second, some routers use a mixed mode for encryption, you may find it in the routers wireless setup when encryption is set to 'WPA/WPA2-PSK' or 'WPA/WPA2'. I had wireless adapters that could only connect for seconds and then connection was dropped. Not really a problem cause by the wireless adapters but the router. Once the router was set to 'WPA' or 'WPA2' everything was fine. There's one widely used router available in germany that even got a firmware update that added the 'WPA' or 'WPA2' options to solve the problem.

I tried to get the manual for the airport extreme, but it seems the manual doesn't want to confuse the users with such unimportant details like wireless encryption and configuration.The manuals I found were useless.

Archived