Home Network

Old Hippie

I want to set something up, so I can have my PC desk top on line in 1 room, and my Mac laptop, wireless in use in another room. I know I need a router, but, I want to hook/"hard wire" the PC to the router, and I can use the wireless features for the mac...what do I need? and what are my best options? The desk top(PC) has NO wireless options, and IO don't want to spend for any.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wouldn't the OP want a "g/n" wireless router?

Agreed, OH I would recommend a N-Router as well, since you have a new Macbook, which supports the N-modus. You will see the differences if you copy large files like movies between your Macbook and your PC, and it has wider range as well.

Depending on how much you want to spend I would recommend the Apple Airport Extreme or the Apple Time Capsule. The Time Capsule is a N-router which has a server grade (high quality) hard disk drive included, and in combination with Apple's Time Machine (part of Leopard) it offers the best and most easiest to use backup solution on the market. Time Machine has already saved my (office)life a few times... (Also you can share additional hard drives or your printer via Time Capsule)

Set up the network:

The PC will be connected to the router via a LAN cable and the MacBook will be connected by WLAN. Provided you have a good manual your home network can be set up within a few minutes, especially if you use the Apple routers.

O.k. so if I understand it correctly, I can hard wire my old PC desk top to the router, with out having to purchase anything new , other than the router? and then use the built in stuff on my Mac laptop to connect to it? My aim here is to be able to use the laptop in the next room, print stuff if needed etc...and to be able to access both machines at the same time, copy files between them etc...

Yep!

Setting up a network with Windows always gave a me a headache, with Macs it is breeze, especially with an Apple router:

You need an Ethernet Cable (simple LAN cable) for to connect the PC to the router and the router. As I said I would go for an Apple router which are much easier to set up.

Of course there are routers featuring Draft N that cost less than 100$.

But I have to admit that the airport extreme does have a bunch of features that aren't usually all in one and therefore justify the price.

Gbit LAN, Draft N and an USB port that not only enables networking for a printer but also enables networking for an external harddrive. Unfortunately only one of both at a time.

Also OH will have less headaches when his Draft N devices are from the from the same brand, otherwise there might be compatibily problems.

Only I think OH needs a simple router that offers four LAN ports (100 Mbit) and wireless Lan 11g (54 Mbit) which will be less than 50$. Lots of offers for routers up to 50$ which will most likely do the job.

Archived