The lovely Noy

Coss

I should put this in relationships, or regional, but as it's part of my wider ranging travels, the majority of which are in LOS, I include it here.

The Friday night meeting went well and turnout was strong.

I had an urge to drink and fortunately for me I had company, my memory is hazy, but I am sure we were in Afterschool and a botten was had. I was beset by three diddlees, one of whom was as cute as a button, so cute as to have me return later on, for the barfining thereof. ST only unfortunately, but that suited me as I had a plane to catch.

The Laotian visa on arrival system is pedantic and time consuming, over an hour in the queue so that the requisite paperwork could be handled, one person at a time.

Mind you I could have spent over an hour getting a visa at an embassy beforehand, so six of one...

I wonder if they'll move to the Cambodian eVisa system one day, 5 minutes on a computer from home and done.

Nice hotel the Taipan, ended up paying $60 instead of the $85 quoted, no idea why. It's a little higher end than I normally go for, but after the mosquitos, roosters, mongrels and dust of Surin, not to mention the continuing desire for my two nieces, the relative calm and opulence of the Taipan was welcoming. And only for two days after all.

I'd come to Laos to do one very specific thing, three years ago I was in Vientiane and stayed at a guest house. It rained for about three days solid whilst I was there, and so I sat at the entrance to the restaurant and drank Gin and Tonics all day whilst writing and musing. The lovely Noy was my serving wench and apart from the words "Gin and Tonic" I think I may have spoken three words to her, maybe a sentence.

You know how it is when a young girl has been out riding the moto, in the rain and makes an entrance, sodden white blouse clinging to her most prominent attributes? Nipples at attention? Yes that was one of my memories, another was Noy's extremely shy smile.

So I had a couple of half decent photos of Noy and I sent them to the guest house for no other reason than that she may like them.

Over the subsequent months and years, I am in receipt of valentines emails and we correspond periodically as pen pals I suppose. I maintained an interest in Noy as she was a person of some intelligence and a good girl. I did think at the time that she was 16 or 17, but it transpires she was 21 then, and nearly 24 now. I really did hold no real carnal desire in her regard, so that was that, pretty much.

When I started planning this trip I wanted to spend a few weeks away from wife and daughter a.k.a. the Bundies.

I resolved to go to Cambodia as well as Patters and Bkk, when Noy discovered I was heading up to SEA, she asked if I was coming to Laos. Hell why not, the ticket was on air-points and I can chill in Laos for a day or two. It was then she asked if I would buy her a used laptop for which she would re-imburse me. So I got her one, a little Toshiba Portege. And because I didn't feel right about taking money off a poor Laos girl, I resolved to make it a gift.

Let me describe her to you, she is tall by Laos standards, 5'6" I suppose, very slim, darkish, really beautiful melting pool eyes, quite round they are, she has small but beautiful formed breasts ( I did get a glimpse the first day as she bent over to sit ), long shapely legs that culminate at a small but pert bottom. And she's shy. Hair down to her waist.

So I suggested via the electric mail that we meet at my hotel as a start in afternoon and then I take her to dinner... ''Ok,we can meet 4pm. couldn't i go with my friend? Because it's not appropriate to alone", sure I say. her friend turns out to be a charming little niece by the name of April, twelve, but with quite good english.

Noy, meanwhile, is in her best going out clothes, eyes sparkling, alternately meeting my gaze and smiling, or being overcome with shyness and averting her eyes. Young April does a sterling job of translating, that some do so well, answering my questions without referring to Noy.

Noy appears to have been struck dumb, I can get a few words out of her, but she is being critically shy, she is in a state of constant blush.

April let's me know that Noy talks normally, but for today speech escapes her. She lives with an assemblage of relatives, never knew her father, and mum?, well she began living with her cousins at age four, along with three sisters. Noy is doing well at University and will graduate in 2010. Noy would love to come to dinner along with April. Any boyfriends I ask? Such a pretty girl at twenty three surely has boys lining up? And April replies (verbatim) "Many have asked, but she hasn't said yes", ahhh....

But then little April's mobile rings and Noy has to take her home, "will you come back for dinner?" I ask, her eyes couldn't find a spot to focus on, so I relieve her stress, "OK maybe tomorrow, will you come tomorrow?", relief floods her face, yes she will come tomorrow, with two motos and a friend and we will tour, starting at ten.

So I went to the La Cave Des Chateaux alone and ate Foi Gras and Veal Brains, very much to my satisfaction.

When the Police are on a mission and a Police Motorcycle is streaking through the traffic, they of course, use a siren and flashing lights, but on a number of occasions I saw an added twist that brought a smile to my face each time. The cop on the front, controlled the bike with the lights and siren, and the cop on the back... well he gets to blow a whistle furiously, and, the best bit, wave his arms up and down like a young albatross preparing for an inaugural take off. This got me chuckling every time I saw it, great comedy routine.

I found the Rooftop Bar with some SMS guidance from CTO, pleasant low key place with a few pretties, but my heart wasn't in it and I retired early.

The next day, on the dot of ten, they arrived, Noy was radiant and pretty in the morning light, her friend was named You, which I'll write as You´ so as to distinguish the name from you the reader. You´ was a twenty two year old with a little acne but a great smile and a bubbly personality, and good english. You´ had a chest that... well that moved about under her sweater, very distracting. And Noy had yet to regain her ability to speak to me. But the smiles and blushing were enough to keep me intrigued.

We headed off to a bus, and thence to a Buddha Park where there was Heaven and Hell. We climbed through Hell and up on to it's roof. At the other end of the park was Heaven, which was also climbed. Inside Heaven was a little room, in which sits a man, who plays mournful flute every now and again. You´ says that he's been there every time she's come to the park over the last few years, and he is doing it because he has a broken heart. I opine that it's time for him to pick himself up and get himself a new woman! The girls both think this is very funny, and I'm beginning to find that Noy can understand every word I say.

After the park it's back to the Arc de Triumph (sp?) replica in the city for photos and refreshments. When on the motos, I was asked to drive whilst Noy sat on the back, side saddle, I don't know if this was deference to my giant big maleness or if she was afraid to have said maleness on the back of the bike, pressed up against her slim waist... aarrrgh, stop it!

We broke for an hour to repair and dress for dinner, arranging to meet at Kop Chai Deu. When they turned up they were stunning, work had been done, attractiveness had been liberally applied. Once again to La Cave Des Chateaux.

The food here is very very good, but I will say that the fish and seafood tends to be a little bland which is very French but should be noted. The meat and red blooded stuff on the other hand was vigorous and delightful.

Both girls were non drinkers but after a little persuasion shared a bottle of Rose´and we all had a Martini Rosso to finish. Entree's of Seafood, Scallops and Fois Gras, mains of Prawns, Fish and Buffalo, followed by melting Golden Chocolate.

Really quite good, so good I'm tempted to take up my knives again.

In all of this You´ and I kept up a lively conversation and attempted to get Noy to join in, but to no avail. You´s chest kept moving. I left for a cigarette to let them converse in girlie and when I returned Noy had obviously been given the hard word, as You´ left for the rest room, and stayed for a long time.

Noy steeled herself and looked at me, I smiled, she smiled, and then she started to talk, but only started mind, the lips went forward, the throat bobbed, tongue was active but no sound came out, it really was as if she was mute. She had several goes at this, and it go so, that I just took her hand and said don't worry, she could email me, I understood she was nervous...

What an intense experience, I was really taken aback at the intensity of her desire to speak but her inability to do so.

A mobile sweater returned and You´ the good sort that she, was took in the situation at a glance, it was then that a present was produced. I turned out to be a relief carving in the traditional style, of a man and a woman, wrapped in red wrapping paper, in a red plastic bag with hearts on it. A card read, "...thank you for your kindness, love Noy"

I bid them farewell in the fountain circle, and sniff kissed both their hands, Noy was teary and You´s sweater kept moving.

I'm quite glad it turned out this way, very civil, I had thought that if one were assailed by feminine pulchritude and affection, that it would be rude to refuse, but on the other hand, the damage an old walrus like me could do to a naive young girl, could be regrettable.

I am looking forward to my next email from Noy, and I'm off to Cambody :)

Lovely and very evocative description. You are a true gentleman. The sniffkisses in the circle, I've had some interesting times in that place. It was much nicer 8 years or so ago, before they cut down the trees and 'renovated it, killing all the atmosphere.

I wonder if Noy was nervous because she was scared she would be expected to repay for your kindness (laptop) in 'kind'.

Re Visa:

2 other ways around it.

1.Pay a travel agent in BKK to get one for you. less time in traffic and waiting at embassy while in BKK. just a few hundred baht service fee extra.

2. Next time, get to sit near the exit in the plane, run on arrival to the immigration counter, making sure all your documents have already been filled out.

I got caught the first few times, but with some planning it can be faster.

"I wonder if Noy was nervous because she was scared she would be expected to repay for your kindness (laptop) in 'kind'."

Quite Likely, but You´and I covered that by me saying I was worried that Noy might think I was "bad man for woman".

Interestingly I was accosted by three ladyboys and two regular street walkers on the way back to the hotel, a street scene! That wasn't there three years ago.

Cheers

Coss

Archived