Mexican collapse? Drug wars worry some Americans

Bangkoktraveler

Indiscriminate kidnappings. Nearly daily beheadings. Gangs that mock and kill government agents.

This isn't Iraq or Pakistan. It's Mexico, which the U.S. government and a growing number of experts say is becoming one of the world's biggest security risks.

The prospect that America's southern neighbor could melt into lawlessness provides an unexpected challenge to Barack Obama's new government. In its latest report anticipating possible global security risks, the U.S. Joint Forces Command lumps Mexico and Pakistan together as being at risk of a "rapid and sudden collapse."

"The Mexican possibility may seem less likely, but the government, its politicians, police and judicial infrastructure are all under sustained assault and pressure by criminal gangs and drug cartels," the command said in the report published Nov. 25.

"How that internal conflict turns out over the next several years will have a major impact on the stability of the Mexican state."

Retiring CIA chief Michael Hayden told reporters on Friday that that Mexico could rank alongside Iran as a challenge for Obama â?? perhaps a greater problem than Iraq.

Link

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to go there a lot too, but I think the recession in the US is only helping the Mexican tourist market.

A friend of mine owns a surf travel company, mainly focused on yacht charters in the South Pacific and Indonesia. Americans are choosing to go to nearby places like Mexico, Costa Rica and Peru, which is bumming him out because they're low yield destinations for him, while his boats in Indo are going unfilled. :(

I've got a brother that has lived in P.V., Mexico for the winter for the last 10 years and loves it. He has owed 4 condos in that time, buying pre-construction and trading up after 2-3 years. He does speak fluent Spanish and loves the Mexican culture. He did tell me a couple of months ago, he would sell his condo if the economy/real estate prices improve and live full time in Santa Fe.

There have been many reports of taxis in Mexico City setting up Americans for kidnappings. The kidnappers drain your ATM and credit cards then have you call relatives to wire 5k, 10k, etc. or else.

As far as I know the big tourist destinations. Cabo, etc. are supposed to be protected well enough by the government as it brings in too much money with Tourism being one of the three lifebloods of the economy (along with oil and monies wired from relatives in the U.S.)

TJ is a cesspool. I used to go when I first arrived in LA but wouldn't go now unless I had vacationing guests who wanted to go bad enough.

I used to go to a reataurant in Nogales that John Wayne use to visit. That restaurant just closed because of no business. Nogales has become a 'ghost town' as far as tourist are concerned.

The city is scary in more ways then one. Recently, the head of the State Police of the State of Sonora, in which Nogales is part of, was asasinated near a market that I use to go to. Bullets and hand grenades were the weapons of choice in taking that policeman out.

Archived