Foreign currency account?

Flashermac

Ok, thanks for the replies...I'm totally ignorant of monetary things. I need to learn! I have a lot of money in the UK, but don't want to move any over due to the awful pound. Seems like it has no benefits to me.

I need info. on investments though! I know now is not a good time to do so...but, I got to get my money doing something.

Anyone know of a good investment fund? Off shore accounts give around 4-5%...

You are right, now is not a good time for conventional investments, don't be tempted.

I suggest investment grade bond funds. Right now, my bet is short treasuries (TBT etf) and long investment grade credit (LQD etf). I bet that the gap between the two will shrink over the next six months... as long as banks stop collapsing. Caveat: I think this is the kind of thinking that supposedly lost Deutsche a ton of money last quarter. :evil:

I'm also long equities. I wouldn't want to bet you 50/50 whether the stock market will be higher/lower in a few months but I think there is a much bigger upside than downside potential. There's been nothing but bad news for the past 2 months and yet I'm *almost* breaking even on the stocks I bought during that time. I really don't want to miss the rally.

Whatever you do, good luck. You'll need it. There is a huge risk premium right now and people are charging exhorbitant rates for financial insurance. All the "safe" investments have incredibly low returns, barely above inflation.

You are right' date=' now is not a good time for conventional investments, don't be tempted.[/quote']

I suggest investment grade bond funds. Right now, my bet is short treasuries (TBT etf) and long investment grade credit (LQD etf). I bet that the gap between the two will shrink over the next six months... as long as banks stop collapsing. Caveat: I think this is the kind of thinking that supposedly lost Deutsche a ton of money last quarter. :evil:

I'm also long equities. I wouldn't want to bet you 50/50 whether the stock market will be higher/lower in a few months but I think there is a much bigger upside than downside potential. There's been nothing but bad news for the past 2 months and yet I'm *almost* breaking even on the stocks I bought during that time. I really don't want to miss the rally.

Whatever you do, good luck. You'll need it. There is a huge risk premium right now and people are charging exhorbitant rates for financial insurance. All the "safe" investments have incredibly low returns, barely above inflation.

I am short on equities at the moment and it is giving a good return, about 11% since I invested just over two weeks ago. I still think there is a lot of downside to come and I will get out when/if the FTSE touches 3,500 and then go long.

One thing I don't like about going short though is that it doesn't quite fit in with my pysche, I can't stand looking at the markets, feeling happy when they are going down.

Hope this all changes soon and we can start thinking positive.

I've been indulging in the Thai stock market, the 'SET'. My focus has been mostly the larger 'blue chip' companies with _high_ annual dividend yields ranging from 7-20%! My stocks have not yet shown any significant appreciation, but I'm betting that will occur in the long-term. Meanwhile, I expect to be buffering the weak $US with dividend returns. A plus is that foreigners, unlike in the US, pay no capital gains nor US taxes as foreign investments here are placed in a anonymous "NVDR" pool.

However, the "SET" is a volatile and manipulated market, so caution is the byword!

Archived