UDD (Red Shirt) Mass Protests

Mentors

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Thai wife says people get paid to vote or rally. In your opinion, are these protesters somehow bribed into demonstrations?

I will admit to having stopped following Thai politics as it just keeps changing direction all the time. One day Thaksin is a saint, the next he's a criminal and then back and forth. It's nice they keep selecting new colors for their tee's thought. Whatever side they are on today.

The organisers get paid big money to turn out the masses. In the past, the masses got free transportation, a place to stay, food and a "daily allowance" many times the minimum wage. Don't know about now though. Some may believe the BS, others just be out because it's "sanuk".

:dunno:

Doxx,

I've heard the same, whether it is true or rumor I have no idea (I suspect partially true at least). The same was said of the yellow shirted demonstrators. Up here there are many who still think Taksin was good for them and for Thailand.

As Shygye says, I imagine as the ecomony slows and more and more layoffs happen the red shirts will gain converts.

Cent

You are sadly mistaken if you think these demonstrations have anything do with economic situation. These are pure internal politics and I see them as a last desperate move by Thaksin to stay relevant. The current coalition that is running the government are appropriating his populist policies, his gang of upcountry factions are deserting him, and most people are just plain tired of him.

Note that virtually all the articles that Mentors post come from the Nation, which is trying very hard to make all this sensational as they can in order to sell papers.

:wave:

TH

Toxin has recently said he will come back to Thailand only if there is a coup, to help lead his people back to true democracy. Firstly, is he forgetting the prison sentence waiting him whether or not there is a coup and secondly, he would then be promoting anti-democracy if he indirectly is supporting a coup by mentioning one. What a hypocritical, arrogant sot!!!!

Interesting how the Wikipedia entry on his son had all negative comments removed. :hmmm:

Cent, I've had taxi drivers bend my ears about how wonderful the economy was just a few years ago under Mr T. Well yeah, so was the economy of the US, UK and the rest of the world. The world's economy went tits up becuse Thaksin is no longer leading Thailand?

Archived