Jomtiem Coss

Coss

Jomtiem is beautiful this morning, though looking around, the scene I am seeing, resembles nothing so much more, than what I'd expect to see at a Baltic seaside resort.

There are gaggles of older tourists, the air is redolent with Slavic and Teutonic accents, the Thais that live and work here are almost an afterthought, an adjunct to the main event that is the European package tour.

The sea is calm like a mill pond, but for the little hints of breeze, scurrying this way and that, ruffling ever so slightly the milky turquoise surface of the ocean.

My sunglasses have polarized lenses and this adds to the colour of the day a certain richness of hue. The coconut palms are quite distracting as the sun glinting on the highlights of the fronds has taken on that multi coloured green, blue, red and purple you see when oil is spilt on water. If I could only capture that in a photo.

The lone Jet-ski jockey, racing against no one, throwing himself into perilously tight turns at full speed, has the kindness to remain far enough from the beach to be an interesting spectacle rather than an annoyance.

To the left of me sit an older man and his wife, both well aged and reading without break, paperback novels, I don't know if they are the same novels as yesterday and the day before, but they are engrossed, and I haven't seen them speak to each other, or do anything much, except read, by the hour.

Let me introduce Sang Som, so named for her favourite tipple, tall, slender, graceful legs and breasts and a lightly chinese/khmer aspect to her face, particularly her eyes. The kind a girl I like to have on the back of me motorbike. And hopefully, shortly to be peeling me quails eggs. She works at Mistys, and lives above Lucifers in Walking Street. Another, that has said, 1,500, 2,000, up to you. This is not a very busy high season. In fact all the girls I've taken to dance, have positively exuded gratitude upon being asked to accompany me. Quail eggs would be good about now.

We spent the previous evening eating grilled mackerel and prawns and watching the band at Hot Tuna before a few games of pool and then bed.

I've come to the same part of Jomtiem beach three days in a row now, mainly because the chairs here are run by a friendly woman and her two blooming daughters, both with braces but both endowed with chests that seem to swell as you look at them, in real time.

Sang Som, whilst I've been writing this has been slyly sliding her hand up my shorts when she thinks no one is looking, judging by the glare I got from a beet eating matriarch, some one, is watching. When's the quail egg girl gonna come? A chap with three, count 'em, three, cobs of corn for sale went by a moment ago, perhaps when he's sold those he'll be able to afford four and then escalate his business in that manner.

Ah, novel reading couple have activated, he with a cigar, she with a cigarette, have moved one seat closer to the water to smoke them, still not speaking.

Sang Som has fallen asleep, her hand carelessly gripping my shorts. I think Sang Som is a simple creature, not one that a university education would have benefited, and thereto a willing and cheeky girl. Ah the quail eggs arrive, Sang Som keeps talking about Dinosaurs and the Jurassic, I'm not sure what the connection is there.

A couple of dozen quail eggs, 40 bht, and delicious they are, Sang Som soon warms to her role as peeler, carefully removing all traces of shell, and nicking the surface of the egg with her thumbnail so as to allow penetration of the sauce.

A fifteen year old european girl in a bikini walks by, how could I tell she was fifteen and not older? easy, her tits hadn't sagged. I saw a fella selling art painted on boards, not wanting to buy any but nevertheless curious about the art itself, I motioned him over. At 2,900 bht it was expensive, but as I didn't want it anyway, I waved him on. Then it was 2,500, 1,800, 1,500, and at the end 900. Gave me pause for thought that did, mind you he probably only sells one a day with that sort of mark up.

Another coconut methinks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived