bangkok scams shut down

passingthru69

On their main web page they comment

"In this example, Mini Siam in Pattaya charges Thai adults 100 baht and foreigners (including people who live and work here) 250 baht."

This is not true, I am a foreigner that lives and works in Pattaya as does my foreign wife and we were both charged the Thai price upon showing our Thai driving licences.

I am not sure I would call it a scam, but Siam Ocean World's approach to double pricing is curious and, I think, a bit revealing by the lengths they went to conceal it from Farangs.

There is two tier pricing there, but you wouldn't know it unless you read Thai, including Thai numbers. I don't recall seeing Thai numbers on anything built in last ten years, particularly any private enterprise open to the public.

They were still reluctant to charge the Thai price even after I showed my Thai driver's license and PR book (I brought it because I had passed the place before and noticed the dual pricing using Thai numbers). They wanted to see my work permit (hadn't occurred to me that they would want that), but finally relented after the lady at the ticket booth administered a short Thai language test and I apparantly passed. It was surreal.

Not really a gripe, it's just that even after 14 years here, I can't get my mind around the thinking that drives this sort of stuff. :dunno:

Archived