Retirement in LOS

sidsanuk

Having lived here for over 5 years on a retirement extension, I think I can shed some light on this issue.

Firstly get a Non-Immigrant 'O' Visa from an Embassy or Consulate in your own country. If you're over 50 the reason for visiting Thailand can be "Investigating retirement." You can get a single-entry (90 days) or multiple-entry (1 year), though with the multiple-entry you do have to do a border run every 90 days.

Once you are in Thailand, open a bank account (different banks have different rules for opening an account - one of the easiest is TMB), and wire over 800,000 baht. Once that money has been in your account for 2 months, go to your local Immigration Office and apply for a "Retirement Extension" to your Non-Immigrant 'O'. You will need 2 photos, a copy of your bank book, a letter from your bank (costs 200 baht), and photocopies of various pages from your passport (the Immigration Office will let you know what you need).

If all in order, you will be issued with a retirement extension (it's not a visa) for a year from your last entry to Thailand. You do not have to leave the country, but you have to report to the Immigration Office every 90 days. If you wish to leave and return to Thailand, be sure to get a "Re-entry Permit" (1,000 baht for single-use, 3,800 for multiple-use). It expires when your extension expires.

Alternatively, if you are receiving a pension, you should get a letter from your Embassy confirming the amount. If it's 65,000 baht a month or more, that's all you need. But if under 65,000 you will need money in a Thai bank to make it up to the 800,000. However, even if your pension is more than 65,000, most immigration officers like to see a Thai Bank account with some money in it.

Each year you have to renew your extension, and go through the same process.

Hope this helps.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
do you have to pay tax in thailand?

I don't pay any tax - as I'm not earning any money in Thailand! I am taxed at source, however, on my British Pension (superannuation). I understand, however, that if you have a business visa, then tax could be payable - but I don't have personal knowledge of that.

Isn't the requirement for marriage visa extention still 400,000 baht in the bank (or pension equivaliant)?

I understand that is the case. Also an income of 40,000 per month or combination is also acceptable, I think. However I'm not married (thank God!), so I have no personal experience.

From ThaiVISA.com:

Retirement

Friday, 22 December 2006

Documents required when applying for a residence permit in the case of retirement

• 1. Application form (TM.9).
    2. Personal information sheet.
    3. Health certificate from a hospital (issued within the previous 3 months).
    4. Certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially, e.g. by the applicant's Embassy in Bangkok.
    5. Official marriage and birth certificates (in case of accompanying family members who are also applying), (see certification requirement in No. 4 above).
    5. Certification of income (e.g. pension).
    6. Map of residence.
    7. Copy of passport (must show a total of 3 year's travel history to Thailand).

Remarks:

Copies of documents must be certified by applicant. Documents in foreign languages must be translated into Thai language (specifying name and residence of translator). Submission of false documents or the provision of false statements are criminal offenses.

The applicant must apply in person as the Immigration Bureau will require a set of fingerprints for the purpose of checking for criminal record.

If you own a company here are you actually working for that company - i.e. have a work permit? If that's the case you may have a problem obtaining an extension based on retirement if you want to continue working.

The easiest way for you to stay long term may be to obtain an extension based on living with your wife (marriage extension) which would only require 400K baht in the bank or your showing an income of 40K/mo and with that you can obtain a work permit if desired.

-redwood

• 7 months later...

Archived