Retirement in LOS

sidsanuk

Have read through some the threads here, but they seem to relate to short term visas.

If I wanted to retire permanently in LOS, what are the criteria?

I am over 50

Married to a Thai

Money not a big issue

Own a company in Thailand

Is there some form of get it and forget it type visa? ie no need for visa runs etc?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have read through some the threads here, but they seem to relate to short term visas.

If I wanted to retire permanently in LOS, what are the criteria?

I am over 50

Married to a Thai

Money not a big issue

Own a company in Thailand

Is there some form of get it and forget it type visa? ie no need for visa runs etc?

Yes. For you, it looks easy-peasy.

I am over 50 -- qualify for a retirement visa

Married to a Thai -- qualify for a spouse visa

Money not a big issue -- good, cuz you have to prove B400-800k in the bank for either

Own a company in Thailand -- qualify for a biz visa

Check the website of your local Thai consulate for details. Here's one with some content: http://www.thai-la.net/visa/visa-non-im.htm

Cheers,

SD

Getting the visa is easy. He can get that by showing wifeâ??s ID card and marriage certificate at an embassy or consulate. That will give him 90 days entry, unless he gets the O-A at an embassy, which many people do not recommend as it requires more docs then doing extension in Thailand.

What you have described is the criteria for getting the 1 year extension based on over 50 with 800k or married with 400k so he doesn't have to leave every 90 days.

TH

I didn't get into details cuz I'm lazy.

Basically, if you do the original visa in-country, you get the full year with the 90 day reporting (extensions are as you describe). If you gvet it outside of LoS, you get the "leave every 90 days" thing (which is what I get since I'm travelling every week for work anyway).

However, if you get it outside of LoS, then a lot of consulates are lax in their requirements, whereas the bureaucrats inside Thailand make sure all "rules" are followed.

That's the short course.

The OP can get back to us with specific questions after he does his research.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks guys. I'll do some research. Just thought it odd that the retirement visa type O-A still requires you to do a visa run every 90 days and is only valid for 1 year.

I intend moving to LOS, and retiring for a bit more than 1 year....I hope.

I notice on the Consulate website they only list non immigrant visas. Don't they allow migration at all? ie retiring = sell up, pack up and move ....permanently.

"Just thought it odd that the retirement visa type O-A still requires you to do a visa run every 90 days and is only valid for 1 year."

I believe that has recently been changed. Saw something on TV.com in the past month about this. The marriage O visa now I think doesn't require leaving the country but you just/do need to go to Immi and report/vailidate your presence and Thai address. Have a look on Thaivisa.com. What I saw was quite recent on the change. It may be for those getting an extension on the marriage O visa after the first year that do not have to step out.

Archived