Thailand faces deflation

Faustian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe because they have been propping the baht up for some unknown reason? I refuse to believe that it is stable with the US$ on its own. The fundamentals are just not here, especially compared to the slide that the Sterling and the Oz $ has experienced.

Cheers,

SD

I am no economist, but the Baht hasnt got stronger, its the other currencies that have got weaker. This puts Thailands huge export market in jeporady. I would expect some sort of devaluation in the not-so-distant future.

HT, 110B? Where did that number come from? The article posted listed 52B in reserves.

SD

Bank of Thailand posts their foreign reserves every week here:

http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=94&language=ENG

The treasury reserve is different and isn't used for fx intervention. That's basically how much money the government of Thailand has = tax revenue - government expenditures. The treasury reserve is 52B baht. The foreign reserve is 110B dollars.

As an aside, I just scanned the condo rental/buy sites. If anything prices are still getting higher! Crazy. Seems to be a glut at the moment. Hundreds available to rent or buy. No price reductions.

that's nothing new; same in 1997!

you have to wait for the bank auctions! i see now more and more middle class thais returning houses/condos to the banks; next will be that some of the large developers run out of cash!

Archived