Cell Phone Monitoring Technology

unit731

the only ones automatically having the info about all cell phones is the network service providers (owners of the cell towers / base stations) storing the location ID of every single mobile either current updated ID or last registered ID in case of being out of reach, switched off etc.

this info is of course 'confidential', but the operators / service providers can always look it up whenever.

additionally there's some web or mobile applications that has various tracking features, but most likely they will only work if users install them & agree to let others see their info.

google is one of the major players in this arena with their google maps & associated global 'cell info' database (working on any mobile) in addition to the GPS positioning which of course only limited mobiles support.

so is it scary? yes & no. be informed & it isn't, but sure the hype about it being like some super power monitoring everyone of us :rolleyes:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cell phone has to be "on".

Yes.

Take it from me, unless we have planted you with a "special" phone (and we do have them), if you turn it off, we can not track it. And believe me we have tried.

Cell phones work by regularly "checking in" to the tower several times a secound. This is how you receive calls and the main consumer of bat power. If it were doing this you would see your batt going down precipitously even while "off."

If you are still worried, take the battery out. Then your phone is just a pile of plastic and copper.

What you say is true. Interesting conversation with a U.S. biz owner on my last trans-pac flight. He was en route to Hong Kong. He said the minute the plane lands and he turns on his cell phone, "somebody" knows he there and the drums start beating from Hong Kong to the plants in the Mainland. Everybody is waiting for him. He assumes somebody in the Chinese company has a "source" which gives it a "heads up".

HH

Yup. I did not intend to imply I was special. Indeed, my point to HH was that it was no mystery nor any "clandestine" activity that allowed his buddy's work colleagues to know exactly when he landed. It was a normal service by the mo-by provider.

Cheers,

SD

SD, you're right of course :)

Weird, as I said only the mobile operators have every (GSM) mobile phone users location 'instantly & always' thus is a capable 'big brother', so http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=136640 mobile app is merely a tool to enable individuals to disclose their more or less 'exact' location when & if they choose to do so to each other only aka all the networking/social portals - so far this service is in limited use (supported mobiles), but sure interesting indeed :hubba:

so far not able to locate a single 'friend' (via pc - app doesn't work at all in firefox at least :rolleyes: ) & I'm yet to see any app do that 'independently'?

best thing though (since sliced bread/cheese) is that gmaps on mobile now had english overlays for bkk :bow:

what info is saved in the phones memory of where its been ?

if its turned on you would think it needs to keep its cell tower location in memory , but does it keep the last 10-20 cell towers it has been "traced" by ?

and when you turn it off does it erase the last cell towers ?

Dave

Archived