Patpong! No Thanks!!!

Sarisin

Sarisin,

I venture to Patpong maybe once every several months, and EVERY time it reminds me of why I hate the place. I'm not really sure why I return? My favorite bill-padding story is from Kings Corner. I was with a group of 8 or so guys and we had a shared bill. The waitress tried to add a couple of hundred baht to the total, so I calculated the exact amount and paid that amount without leaving a tip. She asked "where tip for me?" to which I replied "I have a good tip for you, quit trying to cheat your customers". Went right over her head.

Ranger

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the reply oh kimchi brother.

Hey, I kinda like Sparky. Reminds me of one of those fire house dalmatian dogs! haha

But then, I suppose we might have some boshintang issues to consider, eh?

Loved your comment about you getting the craps the Japanese usually get.

Hope to see you soon.

ddo-bup-si-da

Mr S wrote:

I had a good time in Cosmos (new shows there as

the 'hostesses' get up on a makeshift stage and boogey for the customers!) and Goldfingers.

I remember being in cosmos about 18 months ago with you and a few others. We were surrounded by girls and some had bought one or two a drink After about twenty minutes crazy man pointed out there were four extra ladies drinks on the table which nobody had ordered. I think it was you who called a mamasan over, the girls and the drinks quickly vanished with no trouble.

At new year I went over to PP on my own one night and had similar experiences in two bars, both downstairs. After a quick hello a girl went up to the bar and picked herself up a cola which, as they already have them poured out on a tray, must be the regular practice. I waved them both away before they got back to me with the tab and left both bars straight away. Not a lot of fun, went straight back to Soi Cowboy where I have never heard of this sort of carry on. If going to PP best take a small calculator with you and a sharp pair of eyes.

By the way how is your arse? I have to go in hospital this thursday for a bit of advanced butchery! ouch-peter

I agree it is a real shame the kings group pads bills, especially as they go out of their way to SAY they serve an honest drink. The padding happens to me too, but I still like the kings group bars more than anything else I have tried.

If you are like me and set on going there, I can suggest a couple ways to deal with the bill padding. My way is to get familiar with a waitress at each of my favorite bars and tip her 100 baht on each trip; they like the tip more than a drink because they get to pocket all of it. I tend to stay at one place a long time so the extra 100 is not a big deal to me. These waitresses take good care of me and my bin the whole time. I have one who seals checks my bin with a dog ear so it is easy for her to spot if someone drops something in. This waitress is good; she also goes through each of my bills before I do to spot any problems. Besides taking care of bills, it's nice to have a smiling friend around who makes sure your drink and such are well taken care of.

If you want to be sure, bring a pen and make it known you want to sign each check before it goes in the bin. Hmm, maybe pick up a rubber stamp? That might be more fun to hammer on your stamp of approval.

Interesting stuff.

How come I've never had any of that happen to me in Patpong, though I've been a lot? I also know a few ladies who can be bargained down in price to 1500 or 1000, without particularly trying very hard.

Hey! I feel kinda cheated here!

Hey Sarasin, isn't this pretty dangerous?: "..Interestingly, the main reason I went to Thigh Bar was to meet up with a lady who looked (past tense) like Mrs. Khun Sanuk.."

I have never, to the best of my knowledge, had a padded bill in a Kings Group bar. The only place I was once overcharged was Thigh Bar.

I must admit I seldom get into drink buying, I may buy a girl a drink. On bar fines, in Kings Group, it is 400 Baht and I give 1,000 Baht in the morning. No discussion.

In many wasy I prefer Patpong it has more diversity

I never go to the Patpong go-go bars. For go-go, I go (go go?) to Nana or Cowboy. I like the smaller bars like Madrid (okay, AND the BJ bars). At Madrid, you can get a good pizza, their women are often lookers, and there's not the hassle haggling prices like with the PP go-go bars.

More tips for avoiding padding:

1) Look at your bill once in a while, especially the first chit they put in. It doesn't matter whether you really are keeping track or even too drunk to read at all; if they think you are at all conscious or aware, they'll be much less likely to try something. Holding the bill right side up is helpful, though.

2) I used to pay off my bill after 4 or 5 drinks, even if I was planning on staying. I can't keep exact track when I get to 10 or 20, but I can at least remember the last few. I haven't done this in a while, since I haven't been cheated recently (that I know of). If you have a big group it might be worth it to pay after every round or two. This is especially true if you're crossing any happy hour border times (pay your bill as soon as happy hour ends so there is no dispute over when you ordered which drink).

2 points here

KS - I had wondered why I suuddenly got my name changed, now I know.

I have never been to Patpong, having been warned off by quite a few people over the years and posts about rip offs. I have always stuck to NEP or Cowboy and have never had any problems. This type of post makes me glad of that decision - although I had thought the kings group were one of the better group of bars.

If you are worried about rip offs, you can always try what a guy I met last year did. Pay each round separately and then tip at the end. Less chance for mistakes but he did get a few looks from the staff.

Only 32 hrs to takeoff to LOS

Archived