Best money changer on Suk

AloyMak

I don't know how I've been coming here for as long as I have and not known til now. I guess it's because I mostly use ATM. Vasu Exchange on the corner of 7/1 and Suk has the best exchange rates by a huge margin. Today, their rate for USD was 36.05. The rate at that place 10 meters in on soi 7 was 35.71. The rate at the exchange inside Asoke station was 35.81.

Keep using your ATM card, you think a suk street money exchanger is going to beat that?

TH

Vasu is not a "street money exchanger," it is a well-known and respected Chinese business that has offered the best rates in that part of Bangkok for years. (I often wonder what's behind that window, besides the stern little woman who hands the money through...I'm betting a guy with an AK-47, haha).

Yes, if you want Thai currency from an overseas bank account, relying on your ATM card is best...but if you need to change baht into dollars or whatever (say, for a trip to a Lao land border crossing--you get screwed on the visa-on-arrival if you pay baht), Vasu is the place to go.

Keep using your ATM card, you think a suk street money exchanger is going to beat that?

That was the conventional wisdom for years but no longer true 100% of the time. It really depends on the ATM card. HSBC for example charges a 3% foreign transaction fee. If you aren't on a Plus or Premier account, they will charge you a 5 pound ATM fee on top of that. Even if you withdraw the maximum 20000 baht at most ATM, that's a 4%+ fee.

Archived