Proposed alcohol ban for Songkran

TroyinEwa/Perv

Two options proposed for PM to choose

By: APIRADEE TREERUTKUARKUL

Published: 12/03/2009 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: News

The Public Health Ministry has come up with two options on a proposed ban on alcohol sales over the Songkran period.

The ban, aimed at curbing the annual holiday road carnage, will be submitted today to Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva as chairman of the National Committee on Alcohol Policy.

He will be asked to decide if alcohol sales should be banned all day from April 12 to 14 or if licensed restaurants and entertainment spots will be allowed to sell drinks from 6pm to midnight.

Public Health Minister Witthaya Kaewparadai, his deputy Manit Nopamornbodee and health executives yesterday discussed the pros and cons of a ban for almost three hours before coming up with the two proposals.

Alcohol Watch Network coordinator Kamron Chudecha said the ministry's proposed limited sales was unacceptable.

The network plans to rally against the suggestion next week.

The network is urging health agencies to ban sales during the entire traditional Thai New Year holiday while alcohol operators are piling the pressure on health agencies, warning that the anti-alcohol campaign will badly damage the economy and the tourism industry.

Mr Witthaya was earlier at odds with his deputy over banning alcohol sales during Songkran this year. He wanted to be certain any regulations announced to curb sales during the holidays would not hurt the economy.

Even if you're not a drinker, this is not good for Thailand's economy. I am a drinker and if this flys, this will make an already not too fun holiday even worse. Don't get me wrong....I like Songkran.......for about an hour. After that, give me beer. With no beer, it will be hard to take. :thumbdown:

This sucks!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This article was dated yesterday. I hope the idea gets dropped cuz it's ridiculous. Everybody always asks about whether alcohol is available for this or that holiday but the story says either no alcohol for 3 days or only from 6pm till closing for probably the biggest holiday out there. Can't believe nobody seems to care.

Songkran is the only big holiday in Thailand, it is supposed to be a fun celebration. Most adults associate fun with alcohol at some point or other. Imagine in the west, New years without Champagne! Unthinkable.

I know a lot of people lose it over alcohol, but most don't.

Alcohol is never the most important aspect of any holiday, but without it the holiday is likely to be diminished.

Anyway, a ban is totally pointless, it will be circumvented by many. People will still drink, alcohol related accidents will still occur.

What is missing in Thailand is a culture of individual responsibility and an understanding of cause and effect. Why is it that adults get treated like naughty children?

Yeah, I know the answer....

Songkran is the only big holiday in Thailand, it is supposed to be a fun celebration. Most adults associate fun with alcohol at some point or other. Imagine in the west, New years without Champagne! Unthinkable.

I know a lot of people lose it over alcohol, but most don't.

Alcohol is never the most important aspect of any holiday, but without it the holiday is likely to be diminished.

Anyway, a ban is totally pointless, it will be circumvented by many. People will still drink, alcohol related accidents will still occur.

What is missing in Thailand is a culture of individual responsibility and an understanding of cause and effect. Why is it that adults get treated like naughty children?

Yeah, I know the answer....

Archived