Favorite bar to just chill

AloyMak

What's your favorite bar to just hang out, where "everyone knows your name?"

I nominate X-BOX across from Raja Hotel on soi 4. I walked into the place on my way to Annie's (my 4th trip to BKK and I had never been there.) It is a hole-in-the-wall but there are three things I love about it.

1) The front of the house part-owners (retired Americans) of the bar are a couple of the friendliest drunks I've met in BKK.

2) The quality of the expats I've met there are a few notches above what I've met anywhere else in Nana or Cowboy (I've never been to Washington Square). Generally, an older, wealthier crowd. People are quick to ring the bell, buy each other drinks, and conversations don't revolve around how much Thailand and thai girls suck.

3) The girls are sweet, polite and don't hassle me unless I want to be(and in return I buy them a LOT more drinks than I would elsewhere).

I do wonder how they don't get sued by microsoft.

Kings Garden in Patpong for me, people might think strange choice for a chill out bar.

1. Been going there since 1997

2. Known and known by the generations who have passed through

3. High standard of girls both service and for hire

4. Chill out by sitting outside and watching the madness of Patpong go by.

5. Been helped out several times by staff.

What's your favorite bar to just hang out, where "everyone knows your name?"

I nominate X-BOX across from Raja Hotel on soi 4. I walked into the place on my way to Annie's (my 4th trip to BKK and I had never been there.) It is a hole-in-the-wall but there are three things I love about it.

1) The front of the house part-owners (retired Americans) of the bar are a couple of the friendliest drunks I've met in BKK.

2) The quality of the expats I've met there are a few notches above what I've met anywhere else in Nana or Cowboy (I've never been to Washington Square). Generally, an older, wealthier crowd. People are quick to ring the bell, buy each other drinks, and conversations don't revolve around how much Thailand and thai girls suck.

3) The girls are sweet, polite and don't hassle me unless I want to be(and in return I buy them a LOT more drinks than I would elsewhere).

I do wonder how they don't get sued by microsoft.

:yeahthat:

5. Peter has about the biggest collection of music you will find, and you can browse through them yourself and pick whatever you want (helps to have bought everyone a few beers first ;) )

6. Is a very good place to go on late Sat or Sun afternoons. Sometimes there is a bigger crowd at 5:00PM then at 10:00PM

TH

P.S. On the downside, can be a bit cliquish as it tends to be the old Hogâ??s Breathe crowd and many people have known each other for a long time.

Cosmos & Executive on PP2; Green Parrot on 33. Never bothered by gals unless attention is wanted, fair prices, quiet enough to have a good conversation with someone. And nice looking ladies if you choose to have their company.

Cheers,

SD

Ditto on Cosmo. Polite, friendly (once you become a regular) girls, genial owner, very laid back, ALWAYS open (no matter what bar closing shit the gov't is currently pulling), and an interesting clientele: at least 50% Thai men, and not the thug type who live to beat up farangs, either, haha...

The closest I've found to a Western-style "neighborhood" bar in Thailand.

Ditto on Cosmo. Polite, friendly (once you become a regular) girls, genial owner, very laid back, ALWAYS open (no matter what bar closing shit the gov't is currently pulling), and an interesting clientele: at least 50% Thai men, and not the thug type who live to beat up farangs, either, haha...

The closest I've found to a Western-style "neighborhood" bar in Thailand.

Aye. If someone put a gun to my head and said "pick your fav bar in BKK," Cosmos would be it. Usually the fav bar thing is a choice I make based upon my attitude of the day. But most days Cosmos would win...

Cheers,

SD

Archived