Keeping cheese

khunsanuk

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Frozen? Never thought of sticking it in the freezer.

Not heard about the butter trick either. Usually none of this is a problem though as the cheese doesn't last long after getting opened. This time though the problem started well before opening the pack.

Oh well, leaving for another cheese run in a few weeks :)

Sanuk!

Much easier solution........since it sounds like it's too much for you to eat all at once.......Invite a few people over with a couple bottles of great wine (Diet Coke for you) and problem solved. Next batch make sure it's stored correctly.

I volunteer to bring the first bottle....:drunk:

Hi,

I am actually considering bringing some special cheeses this next trip. Stuff like cheese with pesto, cheese with garlic, cheese with ...

And yes, I'll make damn sure it is all vacuum sealed next time. This batch was mailed to me by my Mom and I guess she forgot about the vacuum sealing.

Sanuk!

Similar to zzzz's comment, prior to gong through the annual Cheddar shortage here in Udon (usually in the Jan, Feb, Mar time frame) I will load up on a couple of Kg and keep them in the freezing compartment of the refrigerator.

The cheese stops aging and things stop growing on it, but it becomes more "crumbly", which actually makes it very good for lettuce salads.

Just make sure you thaw it in the refrigerator rather than on the countertop, otherwise the growth might resume at a rather high rate.

Archived