US Flag ship seized by pirates

Flashermac

There are 1000's of former military who could easily be re-trained (say a couple-three weeks) as to how to guard/protect vessels. It's obviously cheaper for the ship's owners/operators to sail "bare" (and take their chances) than to hire and put aboard adequate security.

Still, if somebody wants to hold a ship hostage, there are other ways to do it.

HH

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Unarmed crew"??? I don't think so...a fire ax makes for a good weapon, pipes and they should have had a weapons locker (guns).

Second Mate Ken Quinn told CNN in a live interview Wednesday that the crew also had held a hostage.

"We had a pirate, we took him for 12 hours," Quinn said. "We returned him, but they didn't return the captain."

I may have sailed with Ken! WOW!!! I'm sure he would NOT lie down and accept being hijacked!!!

Maersk, a Denmark company, sucked up a sweet heart deal to run ships for the US Navy...like a US company can't run the ships??? Ohhhh, Maersk hires retired US Navy admirals so a little bribery...errrr, lobby....whatever going on to the detriment of the USA!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy

NAIROBI, Kenya â?? In a riveting high-seas drama, an unarmed American crew wrested control of their U.S.-flagged cargo ship from Somali pirates Wednesday and sent them fleeing to a lifeboat with the captain as hostage. U.S. warship and at least six others were speeding toward the ship â?? the first with an American crew to be taken by pirates off the Horn of Africa â?? as crew members negotiated with the pirates for the return of the captain.

Daar kom die Alibama,

Die Alibama die kom oor die see

Daar kom die Alibama,

Die Alibama die kom oor die see.

Nooi, nooi, die rietkooi, nooi,

Die rietkooi is gemaak,

Die rietkooi is vir my gemaak

Om daarop te slaap.

Nooi, nooi, die rietkooi, nooi,

Die rietkooi is gemaak,

Die rietkooi is vir my gemaak

Om daarop te slaap.

Die Alibama, die Alibama,

Die Alibama kom oor die see.

Die Alibama, die Alibama,

Die Alibama kom oor die see.

http://css-alabama.com/

Well, it has been reported that a US Navy ship in on the scene and that the pirates' mother ship has been located and not too far away. I think the captain will be released unharmed in exchange for not blowing the mother ship out of the water. In other words, all pirates surrender or you will die. Makes sense to me. I think the pirates, in this case, are royally fucked.

HH

Going thru those waters, we were ALWAYS on full alert, all hatches battened, roving ARMED patrols!

WTF, were the farkin mates sleeping at the wheel?? they do have radar on the "box boats" and they should have gone thru the following protocol:

1. spot approaching vessel(s) on radar.

2. sound the horn as they approach to warn them off.

3. fire warning shots over the approaching vessel's bow.

4. fire to sink the vessel if it is within 100m of the ship.

5. repel invaders...a fire hose will knock you off the deck, if nothing else to use!

...and why was a US Diplomat riding a box boat? sounds quite strange....

As I understand pirates use more sophisticated material for their attacks:

high speed boats, self propelled grenades, machine guns, e.g.

Can ship defend against those weapons?

Very stupid that a ship carrying such supplies didn't have a few armed Marines on board.

Knowing how Maersk operates (cheap, cheap and more cheap) they didn't even have a fire hose on the ship!

All the ships owned by the US Navy and operated by private companies, such as Maersk, get issued an assortment of items so as to defend itself.

Whatever. The US battleship is there and let's hope the SEALS make a "courtesy call" on the pirates and get this over with!

NAIROBI, Kenya â?? Somalia's foreign minister has told The Associated Press that pirates are "playing with fire" and "cannot win" against American forces in a cargo ship hostage standoff.

Somali Foreign Minister Mohamed Omaar said Thursday "there is no way" the pirates can win. The pirates took Capt. Richard Phillips as a hostage as they escaped the Maersk Alabama into a lifeboat Wednesday.

Officials have said the lifeboat is out of fuel and being monitored by U.S. ships and aircraft.

Phillips surrendered himself to the pirates to secure the safety of the crew, Coggio said.

"What I understand is that he offered himself as the hostage," she said. "That is what he would do. It's just who he is and his response as a captain."

This guy is either a hero or nuts. Only people in the movies do this stuff.

Link

There is no collective will do deal with the issue. It can be dealt with militarily. However, I guarantee you if we blow up a pirate ship we'll be accused of 'overkill' and not letting them surrender or something.

Send a message...a nice little sidewinder missile well placed along the bow...hehehehe

I'm in a John Wayne, Bruce Willis, yippie eye oh motherf**ker mood today.

Archived