Test: You are not poor

Sakai

Somehow, I do not believe that 1/2 of the population of the earth makes less that $850 a year.

Even English teachers in Thailand make more than that! :neener:

If I am among the top 1% of richest people in the world (at $52K a year!), where are all my freaking servants?!? :cussing:

I would gladly pay someone $850 a year to be my maid/housekeeper/butler/etc. :thumbup:

Heck, I don't think I could get an illegal Mexican for that kind of money! :cover:

More importantly, where is my freaking harem?? :susel:

-=/NN

Hi,

"I played around with this thing and according to it 99% of the people in the world make less than $47,500. Hard to believe???"

Don't think so. I would think that it is WAY more than the national average in many, many countries, including many Western countries.

Just found the stats for Holland:

Average income (2005):

total population: â?¬18.400

working population: â?¬29.300

That is less than the amount you mentioned; and I am sure there are many countries where the avg. income is (much) lower.

Sanuk!

Somehow, I do not believe that 1/2 of the population of the earth makes less that $850 a year.

1/2 sounds pretty high but not completely outrageous. You too can have a maid, chauffer, and personal harem on what you make today. Just move to Nigeria.

According to wiki, percentage of populations living on less than $2/day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

But easy to see why it is so difficult for us to comprehend:

http://www.globalissues.org/i/poverty/wdi-2008/consumption-inequality-2005-pie.png

Summary: world's richest 20% consume 77% of world's output. Next 60% consume 22%. The poorest 20% consume 1.5%.

Somehow' date=' I do not believe that 1/2 of the population of the earth makes less that $850 a year. [/quote']

1/2 sounds pretty high but not completely outrageous. You too can have a maid, chauffer, and personal harem on what you make today. Just move to Nigeria.

Or come to DR Congo. Security guard - $200 pm. Same for driver. And these are the lucky ones that are lucky enough to have a job. Friend here got cerbral malaria - cost about $150 in the hospital, local persons price. I gave her the dough and she told me I probably saved her life. Huh, WTF I said. Yep she said - people die quite often. I have seen lots of poverty but that was a very sobering moment for me. Had to have a beer - sorry bad taste joke.

Living conditions here are really bad. All the dough is sucked up by the fat cats at the top of the pile. And they have ZERO mercy for the ones below. Very dog eat dog here.

Cheers,

Mark

Somehow' date=' I do not believe that 1/2 of the population of the earth makes less that $850 a year. [/quote']

Hmmm... oddly enough I may be moving there soon!

Apparently, the former Treasury Minister of Nigeria has a lucrative business proposition for me. :yay:

-=/NN

Archived