Swine Flu

Faustian

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suvarnabhumi airport on alert for visitors from France, Germany, UK and US

Suvarnabhumi Airport will tighten its checks on visitors from from France, Tokyo, Frankfurt, London, Chicago, Los Angeles and Texas in an attempt to prevent spread of swine flu in Thailand.

Serirat Prasutanond, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport said the airport has not yet found any passengers which have flu symptoms of the swine flu.

He said the visitors to the airport from the said areas were estimated to be about 2,000 to 3,000 per day.

The Thai government on Monday installed thermal scanners at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi International Airport as a preventive measure against the spread of swine flu to the kingdom.

The infra-red cameras, used to detect unusual body heat, were one of several measures agreed to by health authorities as a means of preventing the spread of swine flu in the South-East Asian country, where the tourism industry was hard hit by the outbreaks of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in 2003 and bird flu in 2004-05.

"At present, we have not found any cases of swine flu," Thai Health Minister Vithaya Keowparadis told a press conference.

The Health Ministry has launched an education campaign on swine flu, which has killed at least 20 people in Mexico.

Thailand has a thriving swine livestock industry catering to the domestic market and has begun pork exports.

Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said the cabinet will meet Tuesday to discuss the need for other measures, such as travel warnings to Mexico and the US.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/04/27/national/national_30101410.php

Suvarnabhumi airport will tighten its checks on visitors from from France, Tokyo, Frankfurt, London, Chicago, Los Angeles and Texas in an attempt to prevent spread of swine flu in Thailand.

I don't remember well enough but I don't think there is any place on the immigration/customs arrival form for what your address is. Also, what if you just visited there but live in an area that is not a trouble spot. I am not criticizing at all. Just the opposite but I don't see how these checks can be done.

which has killed at least 20 people in Mexico.

Last number I saw just minutes ago was it had killed over 100 in Mexico. 80 seemed to be the number yesterday so I don't know where the reporter is getting his/her info.

Edit......the more I think about it.....100 is certainly at least 20, so they could be right if you use that logic.

Thais would better look for people coming from Madrid (the major European hub for Mexicanos), USA (especially New York and Ohio), New Zealand and of course Mexico

Quite simple, run checks at the exit gates for flights...

Last count was around 121 dead.

At an exit gate for flights?? Do you mean outbound leaving the country? That would serve no purpose.

I think they need to be country specific and use their tightening of checks on passports from a country rather than particular cities.

I mean there is no way in hell to decipher if a person arriving off a flight with a U.S. passport lives in/works in/has visited Los Angeles. How can they determine this?

I like the pro-active response but the talk just doesn't make sense.

Oups sorry, I meant the gate where passengers exit the arriving flight.

In fact this kind of idea is quite stupid as some people don't have any symptoms but are nonetheless carrier and transmitter of the flu.

Also, if someone lands from a flight coming from let's say Seoul but has in fact been in Seoul for two days only after arriving from Mexico.

Only logical, efficient, low cost solution is for the immigration officers to check if the person has either a Mexican passport or been to Mexico recently.

Faustian: Yes 120+ deaths are not nothing but I am pretty sure there are more violent deaths in Mexico per day.

So on a grand scale of things 120 are not that much.

But yes it just started, still as this is quite easily cured by modern medical means it might not be a great pandemy, at least in the west.

Time will tell

Archived