Where to go with the Isaan clan?

AloyMak

Vinod's suggestion is good. There is a newer Isaan food restaurant on Soi 22, on the right as you walk down from Suk before the entrance to Wash Square (next to Larry's Dive. Haven't tried it yet, but looks decent and not flashy or expensive).

A great place for Northern Thai food they would enjoy is just past the Soi 22 entrance to Wash Square, left side of 22 just past Wash Sq. by a few storefronts. Name of the restuarant is Kling Khao. Good food, not too pricey or fancy, smaller place where they should be comfortable enough. Nice change of culinary style that many Isaanites enjoy, and still Thai food.

The soi 31 Korean BBQ would be good, as said earlier. There's also a Korean BBQ in Wash Square near the Bourbon Street restaurant.

Did the staff at the other place you brought them say anything rude or treat them badly? Many Isaan people, especially older ones, feel uncomfortable in upscale places. Many times it is more their perception of feeling 'out of place' than anything the staff says or does. Although the BKK Thai staffs can be snotty fuckers sometimes to those they feel superior to.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The staff as far as I could tell was polite. One of the waiters was even from the same village. I think you are right. The older folk just felt uncomfortable. They felt like they were poorly dressed and that other diners were looking at them. In all likelihood, I doubt anyone was even paying attention. In my mind it was casual dining - the seafood market on soi 24 where you walk around and pick your food with shopping carts.

There is a newer Isaan food restaurant on Soi 22, on the right as you walk down from Suk before the entrance to Wash Square (next to Larry's Dive. Haven't tried it yet, but looks decent and not flashy or expensive).

Too late. Has been gone now for 2-3 months.

Ms Vampy & I liked it, and I did a review. But...

Cheers,

SD

In my mind it was casual dining - the seafood market on soi 24 where you walk around and pick your food with shopping carts.

Dude, that is VERY hi-so for an Issan farmer family! Not being snobbish, just fact. No wonder they felt uncomfortable. How would you feel if someone took you to a place where the bill for the food was as much as you made in a month? And the food was pretty much the same as you can get at your home for 5% of the cost?

Really.

Cheers,

SD

Well, that was part of the problem. I HAVE been taken out to dinner where the bill was more than I make in a month and I didn't mind. ;)

On my first trip to BKK (and to Asia), I had no idea what "having" a farm up north actually meant.

LOL! I understand, but you are already a man of some means (or else you wouldn't be travelling, so don't really have any money worries. Therefore you can appreciate a gift like that, and don't take it as an insult.

When dealing with folks who are struggling to make sure there is just food on the table, it's generally not a good thing to remind them how far down the food chain they are.

Anyway, whatever, start over. You've some good suggestions here. Good luck.

Cheers,

SD

As I mentioned, I went out a few days ago with expat and Thai friends to a rather typical Isaan place that caters 99% to Thais. (The owner is from Ubol and was once a taxi driver.) The total tab for 5 of us - including plenty of beer - was just under 1,000 baht. We had several platters of fried chicken, several of moo yang, moo daed diao, somtam, some noodles dishes, fried rice, boiled rice and sticky rice (and maybe more I can't remember). A restaurant on Sukhumwit might have hit us for 3,000 baht or more for the same meal and the food been no better.

When your income is low, you hate to see money wasted - even if it isn't your own. That is probably why the farm folks felt uncomfortable.

Archived