Where to go with the Isaan clan?

AloyMak

Just thought of a few more: GOLDEN DRAGON in Bang Na: on the highway not far from BITEC, same side.

At one time, the biggest restaurant in Thailand. Chinese themed but with all the usual Thai selections, reasonably prices and ongoing shows that include traditional Thai dancing, acrobats and and waiters sliding down a high wire carrying flaming cakes, they'll love it. The clientele is 99% Thai.

GERMAN TAWANDAENG on Rama 3, a huge, multilevel beergarden that seats about a thousand. Good Thai food as well as German, they brew their own beer with several varieties available. They stage elaborate shows and have very good singers who perform both Thai and western selections. Very crowded on weekends but worth the wait. Once again, the crowd is 99% Thai.

PHRA RAM 9 COMEDY CLUB: A huge, Thai comedy club on Rama 9 at the intersection with Ramkhamheng. The stage acts are ongoing from 8pm, many locally famous Thai comedians performing the usual Thai humor: bashing dwarfs, ladybys ect. All in Thai but slapstick enough that you'll still have fun. Food is nothing really special but decent and reasonable. The best part is they will be having so much fun that you won't have to talk to them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Laotian name ... but the site is in Thai. And despite the name, they says they are an Isaan restaurant!

:hmmm:

Looks touristy, with "shows" from all regions of Thailand. What are the prices like? The on-line menu doesn't have any, which is always disturbing.

A little touristy but alot of Thais also. Price wise I think food and a lot of drinks for 4 or 6 people was about 2500-3000. Don't really remeber too well (I drank most of the drinks)not to pricy though. Food is really great had some Issan girls with me they said it was the real deal!!

S1

I remember a big seafood restaurant that got in trouble years ago. They had signs saying things like lobster 150 to 1,500 baht, etc etc. Problem was Thais might be charged 150, Farangs 300, and Japanese 1,500. The law says prices have to be specific. The restaurant got hit with a big fine over that. Wonder if they are doing something like that here.

:hmmm:

would be careful with some recommendations.

VIENTIANE KITCHEN has become a tourist trap and GOLDEN DRAGON has always been one.

both very international clientele! if you here a claim of 99% thai crowd, somebody is mixing up other asians with thais.

Archived