Where did botten come from?

HeartThais

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also most words ending with an "s" in English. The Thais will either drop the "s", as when they say the 3rd person singular (present tense) of almost any English verb, or they will make it an ending "t"/"d" sound.

On a shopping trip, GF asked me what I thought of "adidet" (accent on the beginning "a")? Took me a little while until I figured out she meant the brand name "Adidas".

Is the bottle-botten/Bhumibol-Bhumibon thing somehow related to the choice of consonants used, where one combination of consonants in written Thai will always result in the (charming, to my ear) "n" sound, while another combination could result in the English 'L" sound? Someone wiser and more practiced than I could surely explain exactly how this works, I suspect - it's not just because they can't pronounce the words or are lazy, there's a structural linguistic element, no?

YimSiam

Is the bottle-botten/Bhumibol-Bhumibon thing somehow related to the choice of consonants used, where one combination of consonants in written Thai will always result in the (charming, to my ear) "n" sound, while another combination could result in the English 'L" sound?

it is pretty simple; in thai the vowel r and l is pronounced as n, if it is at the end of the syllable

• 1 month later...

Archived