Where did botten come from?

HeartThais

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What IS interesting is where some "real" Thai words came from. Like an ink pen, a pah-kaa in Thai. Ya, that's right, like the brand name Parker. Several words like that. Many onomatopoetic words too, like maew for cat.

I find it interesting anyway.

Cheers,

SD

And the Thai words for come - dog - horse I can never get right ma or mah or mahaa???? :doah:

I tried for an hour and they all still sounded the same maybe next time I won't (dink to mutt) before I try!!! :drunk:

S1

And the Thai words for come - dog - horse I can never get right ma or mah or mahaa???? :doah:

I tried for an hour and they all still sounded the same maybe next time I won't (dink to mutt) before I try!!! :drunk:

S1

The phrase I used for learning tones was "Who Sells Chicken Eggs"

khrai(m) khai® khai(l) kai(l)

(à¹?à¸?ฺร-à¸?าย-à¹?à¸?à¹?-à¹?à¸Âà¹?)

The one that really makes me smile nowadays though is "New silk doesn't burn, does it?"

mai® mai(L) mai(F) mai(F) chai(F) mai®

(�หฺม-�หฺม�-�ม�-�ม�-���-�หฺม)

And the Thai words for come - dog - horse I can never get right ma or mah or mahaa????

that's simple

the polite word for dog is anyway sunak (not to mix up with sanuk!)

maa with middle tone is to come, with high tone is horse

To add to the explanation to the OP. If a Thai word ends in an "l", then the "l" is pronounced as an "n". For instance His Majesty's name is spelt Bhumipol, but pronounced Bhumipon and a street here in Pattaya is spelt Chayapool but pronounced Chayapoon. If the "l' is anywhere else but at the end of a word it is pronounced as an "l".

Now you know why girls want to go to your "hoten", play a game of "poon" and have never heard of the group "The Beaten".

I finally figured out a botten is some bottle size of alcohol. 1 liter? 700ml? 750ml?

And where did this term come from?

A bottle of liquor is either Kok, Baen or Klom. Small, bigger, biggest.

Except from the fact that there are only so many consonant endings in thai language, the consonant cluster in the word bottle doesn`t exist in thai language either. Which will make them pronounce it differently as you have noticed.

Archived