Questions about travel to Laos

Alfmaz

I'm going to be in Surin for a weeks is there a way of getting into Laos from there or should I go to Udon Thani and cross over there. I like to hear from someone who has done the trek with out flying.

Can someone help with what airlines might fly BKK to Luang Prabang

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Train to the border and Nong Khai. Cheap and not too long, say an over-nighter. Air Fare to Wiengchan isn't too bad, or you can fly to Udorn and take the bus to the border. Travel from there by bus to Luang Prabang.

It also easy to fly to Chiang Rai and go overland to Luang Prabang. Another way is by train to Chiang Mai, bus to the border and on to Luang Prabang.

Vientiane - Day Inn - +856 2122 3848 - you can't bring home take away ;)

Other places on the river front similar and lower prices.

Udon Thani - The Chaoren Princess? Stayed there a year back - good rate on walk in.

Lao Airlines aircraft is an ATR 72, a model that has a quite good reputation. But... it would be understandable that one would have concerns re. Lao folks reliability for maintaining it properly.

For Udon hotel, yeah Charoen or its cousin the Charoensri. Charoen has a karaoke lounge and some decent opportunities of "entertainment".

Similarly you may want to stay at the Mekong hotel (c. $50) and shop for your take-away at its disco. But there are tons of Guest-houses like the one CTO mentioned that are way, way cheaper.

For LP, I don't know enough, but this website might help?

Archived