Flu cases on the up in Bangkok

Faustian

Now, I'm not entirely sure which "Flu" they are referring to...I presume they mean the swine variety....anyway, if it is swine flu, then it's about and spreading. I feel I'd rather get it sooner, before any mutation occurs, to develop at least some resistance.

There's been quite a lot of flu about in Bangkok lately anyway, several colleagues have been sick.

I wonder what would happen if H1N1 got together with H5N1...?

From The Nation (just love the english)

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/06/04/national/national_30104403.php

INFLUENZA 2009

Thailand has first human-to-human case of influenza

By The Nation

Thailand confirmed three more cases of the Influenza 2009 on Thursday with two of them were the first case of human-to-human infection, a source said on Thursday.

The sixth was 50-year-old mother who just returned from the US and spread the virus to her child. Information about the child who was the seventh infected person in Thailand was not revealed.

The source said the case of mother and her child is the first of the infection from human to human.

The mother was wife of a man who was also infected by the influenza that hit at least 66 countries with 19,273 people known to have been infected.

The eighth patient was a woman who just returned from the United Sates.

At Swampy, just before the entry to the immigration hall, they herd all pax into a single file line to get scanned by the temp thingy. Of course, it is an Asian-style line...more of a nebulous cloud of people because no one knows whats happening. Same story at the domestic connections checkpoint had one been going that route.

I treated it like the Indians do, just pushed by way past the folks standing around slack-jawed LOL.

They have signs saying to remove hats (they enforced that), glasses (not enforced) and hijabs (uh oh, an international incident in the making for sure). No Muslim ladies in the crowd, so unknown if that one is enforced. No Sikhs either, so unknown about turbans.

They did pull a couple of folks out of line to be screened by the nurses on standby. I saw at least one a few minutes later in the immigration queue next to me, so not sure what that post-screening entails, but obviously not much.

All this added about 15 minutes to the entry procedures (more for sure had I not pretended to be Indian LOL) at 0600 this morning.

Cheers,

SD

Archived