International phone calls

yfs

There was a thread about this already a few years ago, but could be updated:

001 - International direct dial (100 for operator assisted dialing)

007 - for dialing to Laos/Malaysia

009 - voip, works for AIS mobiles.

1234 - for voip calling upcountry - works also to mobile phones from call boxes.

001 - 809 - voip from land lines (using TOT).

Sir ,

my latest strategy : hit Robinson Department tore ( taxi : lobbisunn ) , buy a 500 Baht phonecard and ask the salesperson for the currently cheapest prefix . There are cards with less baht available . the salesperson will fully fix the whole process including pin codes so that you may leave lobbison in peace and no hazzle whatsoever . for 500 baht you may ring everybody in Europe who has a telephne and still have money left .if you insist on ladyboy telephone sales persons send me pm and you will receive proper coordinates . he/she is looking for falang husband but seems to prefer suitable economic circumstances . which excludes myself .

I'm pretty much with Torney on this - use a phone card.

I called Dimples one night from the US to TH and got a $100 charge. Blissful conversation, but completely unnecessary. :)

Meanwhile, my wife was telling me, "Why don't you just get on our family plan for $10 a month without the privilege of international calling, except with a phone card, which you are paying $50 for?

But I've never been accused of being smart. :)

PS. My dad used to be able to call my sister from the US to Ireland at the rate of about 3 cents a minute. Not sure how he did it, or if there's a similar deal with Thailand, but he had to dial a million numbers to make the call.

What I am talking about is not a separate phonecard where you have to dial lots of numbers to fiddle yourself into a privately organised phone system . the lobbison version is a sim-card with an own tel number . meaning nobody can phone you on your regular number which is an advantage on it's own .

here is the update (for using a mobile, never heard of people using "land line" - is that what ppl used in the last millenium?):

001 - International direct dial, best quality, most expensive

004 - can be used if u use DTAC, is very cheap wthin Asia if u subscribe to their 004-plan

005 - can be used if u use AIS, not cheaper than 001

006 - can be used if u use true, very cheap to some selected countries

007 - for dialing to Laos/Malaysia

008 - voip CAT, similar price and quality as 009

009 - voip TOT, price typically 1/3 of 001, but depends a lot of the country

cheapest: buy some prepaid cards like the "phonenet card" from CAT (must buy at CAT, not at 7/11), u get a free access number (for CAT it's 1544) and a PIN on ur phonenet card that u have to punch in.

Rates typically about 1 B/min depending on country, quality usually ok. Not so useful to call places like Vietnam or Nepal (because u may not get a connection).

the current deal that e.g. can be picked up on airasia flights is the true move mobile international card that works as a normal prepaid only it comes with 'cheap international call rates from 1b/min upwards ;)

truemove.com

ideal for visitors & possibly there's wifi options as well can't remember just check their web (if you can filter out the ever present 'iphone 3g' :rolleyes:...

Archived