Airbus crashes into Indian Ocean

Flashermac

Bangkok Post

30 Jun 2009

An airliner with about 150 people on board has crashed into the Indian Ocean near the Comoros islands. The Airbus 310 was operated by the Yemeni state carrier Yemenia Air.

Reports said it was on a flight from Sanaa, the capital of Yemen, and [color:red]was carrying passengers off a connecting flight from Paris[/color].

The three islands of Comoros are about 300km northwest of Madagascar in the Mozambique channel.

The exact location of the crash was not immediately known.

A Yemen airport official confirmed the plane had crashed.

The official said most of the passengers on the plane were believed to be Comoros residents returning from Paris.

The official was speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to the media.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an engineer, I'm not a great believer in coincidences.

Maybe it IS time to think about grounding the 'Buses until they figure just WTF is going on here...especially if there is a common control system between the three types of aircraft (I assume A330 & 340 are the same, dunno about 310).

I never liked the idea of total "fly-by-wire" and thought the Boeing implementation of the technology was better (redundant hardware controls).

Cheers,

SD

Just read on Yahoo that a 5 year old has been found alive. They've only found a few bodies out of the 153 and one so far is alive. Hoping they find more.

Can't imagine being a 5 year old or any age for that matter bobbing up and down in the ocean for hours after a plane crash waiting for help. Must have been sheer terror for the poor little bugger.

As an engineer, I'm not a great believer in coincidences.

Maybe it IS time to think about grounding the 'Buses until they figure just WTF is going on here...especially if there is a common control system between the three types of aircraft (I assume A330 & 340 are the same, dunno about 310).

I never liked the idea of total "fly-by-wire" and thought the Boeing implementation of the technology was better (redundant hardware controls).

Cheers,

SD

Amen to that!

Ground the Airbus and get this fixed and/or figured out!!!

Ok....I'll be a punching bag.

Early last year, AA and DL both grounded about 80 and 130 planes respectively for a "possible" problem. Haven't heard of anything becoming of it to this day.

Airbus has had 2 accidents in a short amount of time but these aircraft are not just put together with aluminum and glue. These are highly sophisticated machines that require years of research, testing and assembly. They aren't just thrown together and sold. If there was indeed a known problem, I have some faith that they would have stepped up and said enough and not continued to build and sell them.

I think grounding them and inspecting all 3k+ would be a bit drastic, IMHO.

*Three* major crashes in less than a year (you forgot the one in the Med that was delivery flight so it was not a major loss of life). Plus the AA flight a few years ago, plus the recent QF in-flight incident that was recovered from. All with similar characteristics.

And there is the old news cover-up story...

That's all I'm sayin'.

If it were the auto industry, people would have the torches and pitchforks out!

Cheers,

SD

Plane was blacklisted to fly in the EU for bad maintenance and was 19 yo with 58K flying hours....

Probably this one was really held together with paper and glue !

A lot of people from the Comores live in France, hence why some many French onboard.

2 found alive.....

RIP.

BB

Archived