Big Trouble in Tourist Thailand - TV Program

carew66

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that brings a sharp and short stop to all of the claims that this was entirely bogus. But there is something else here that is even more curious - namely, how quickly and desperate some posters here are to dismiss stories (here, documented with video) about scams in Thailand as bogus. You have to wonder why?

As with the airport scam, misdirection is employed in a desperate scrapping for anything, not matter how ludicrous, to somehow deflect attention from what is clearly a serious problem for Thailand. Why not address the underlying problem? Dissembling on this board isn't going to fool anyone or make the problem go away.

The Thai Tourism Board (not TAT) had a discussion panel earlier this week at the Holiday Inn on Ploenchit. When the airport scams came up, and a security officer from the U.S. Embassy suggested that the best way to address this blemish on the Thai tourism industry was to fix the underlying problem, he was booed down and we heard the typical nonsense about about being a "good guest" in Thailand. A reporter from the BBC got similar treatment. The Thai Tourism Board's proposed fix: lobby for some sort of control of the internet so these sort of stories never see the light of day. And privately, after the "guests" left (including the BBC reporter), there was discussion, in Thai, about how best to muzzle the press and the internet.

Lesson learned: be discrete about how much Thai you understand; officials generally assume Farangs don't understand any Thai. Lessons the Tourism Board didn't learn: spin isn't going to work; they can't muzzle the press or the internet.

Actually what struck me was the way everybody assumed the footage was genuine. Good old phil was all ready to lynch JJ.

From Mr. Drummond...>Allegations that he had been paid to help set up the scene were described by Gavin Hill as ‘hardly credible’. “We had to cut a lot of the footage. I am satisfied that what was presented was the absolutely correct portrayal of the situation. I have not taken any side.â€Â<

'Hardly credible' note, not false. I too am satisfied that what was presented 'was the absolutely correct portrayal of the situation.' and I'm sure he had to cut a lot of footage. I still think the 'situation' was contrived.

Famousgrouse did not put 'extortion' in inverted commas for nothing. In fact for people who like reading between the lines his blog makes fascinating reading. He obviously doesn't want to fall out with either Gavin or Howard but he's careful to hedge his bets.

Archived